Installing Rubber Boot on SPG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stephenws

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I got tired of getting dents on my 2" metal SPG, so I ordered a rubber boot to put it in. Just received the boot today and I really don't see how the SPG is going to fit - the boot seems too small or maybe just too stiff. The boot is sold by the same Italian maker of the SPG, so I guess it should fit.

The only thing I can think of is to immerse the boot in some very hot water to soften it up. Am I on the right track? Anyone have advise or other ideas?

Thanks.

I got tired of getting dents on my 2" metal SPG, so I ordered a rubber boot to put it in. Just received the boot today and I really don't see how the SPG is going to fit - the boot seems too small or maybe just too stiff. The boot is sold by the same Italian maker of the SPG, so I guess it should fit.

The only thing I can think of is to immerse the boot in some very hot water to soften it up. Am I on the right track? Anyone have advise or other ideas?

Thanks.

Exactly right! It's what I do when I have to place a boot on a brass/glass SPG, but I must confess all my personal ones are bootless.

All the best, James

hot water and dish soap

although from the same manufacturer the 2" B&G SPGs seem to come in two different sizes, the DR 2" (60mm) is slightly larger than both the Halcyon and OMS 2" (52mm). It appears that the DR measurement is taken from diameter of glass but OMS and Halcyon the diameter of case.

I found this out trying to fit a DR SPG into a slightly too small rubber boot, in the end gave up on the boot hasnt done it any harm.

Stephen,
Some divers view a dented spg as a badge of honor, much like a tattered wing or wetsuit. Personally, I like boots on all of my spg's, both b&g and plastic. If it is the right size, soaking it in hot water should be all you need to install the boot.

Thanks for all the advice.

I finally got around to installing the spg in the boot. Soaking the boot in hot water first really did the trick. Amazing how easy it was with the rubber softened up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom