Going to El Paso Jan 6 -10th or 11th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SoCalAngel

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey all,

I am visiting a friend in El Paso, and I'd really like to try out some scuba diving in the gulf. Are there any good beach dive spots, or are they all boat dives? I was thinking maybe a trip to the oil rigs. I have over 600 dives, mostly in temperate California waters, with experience on deep, wrecks, and the rigs out here.

Is any one willing to show me around, or have suggestions of what would be fun to do? I can dive the 7th and the 9th all day or the 8th in the afternoon/evening.

That time of year your best shot of going out is South Padre Island.
El Paso is about 1/2 way between California and South Padre

Randy

I was about to say.. El Paso is technically Texas property, but very far from the water. Closest diving would be South Padre Island, and you could hit the Texas Clipper Wreck as well as the oil rigs.. Some of the best diving around Texas. Of course, there are lakes and springs but not much close to El Paso unfortunately.

I was about to say if you are going to El Paso, you still have a long ways before getting to any beach. My vote would also be the Texas Clipper (South Padre, 850 miles from El Paso).

Another diving option relatively close to El Paso is Blue Hole, Santa Rosa, New Mexico.
Clear Blue spring in the middle of town about 80 feet deep. Est. 4+ hour drive from El Paso.

Yeah, El Paso's about as far as you can get away from the Texas coast and still be in Texas. Balmorhea and Blue Hole are both excellent spots, at least for us poor Swamp Rats! I don't think you would consider the rest of Texas lakes "diveable"

Another diving option relatively close to El Paso is Blue Hole, Santa Rosa, New Mexico.
Clear Blue spring in the middle of town about 80 feet deep. Est. 4+ hour drive from El Paso.

Six hours from Santa Rosa, NM to Balmorhea, TX.... going 80 in a 60 speed zone. That also takes into account gas/bathroom breaks and getting pulled over by NM state police. :blinking:

It would be closer to drive to the Sea of Cortez or back to California to go diving. You're still a good 10 - 12 hour drive to the Gulf Coast from El Paso.

Thanks for all your suggestions and ideas... I had no idea that EL Paso was that far from water. I like the idea of diving in a spring... never been in one beforre. I did dive in a quarry in Illinois a couple of times. I am going to follow and read all the links you've given me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom