Entering the water without resurfacing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What does that have to do with surfacing midway through a dive?

If that's what the OP was referring to, nothing at all. I (and apparently others) thought he was asking whether or not we kept right on going down on entry.

Guy

If that's what the OP was referring to, nothing at all. I (and apparently others) thought he was asking whether or not we kept right on going down on entry.

Guy

The OP was, but the post of mine you quoted was not in reference to that. It was referring to tropitan's post about a buddy who surfaces mid way through a dive to get their bearings.

The OP was, but the post of mine you quoted was not in reference to that. It was referring to tropitan's post about a buddy who surfaces mid way through a dive to get their bearings.

Apologies for the confusion. I _think_ I just tacked my reply onto your post because it was the last in line after reading the whole thread - My bad:shakehead:.

Guy

Just to clear things up a bit: My buddy and I are usually very familiar with the shore sites we dive here on the Kona coast. It is also true shore accessibility may only be a very small spot, and therefore crucial to be familiar with the 'lay of the land' underwater via landmarks and/or compass (we both pack a compass, even at familiar sites). At times, usually due to poor viz, he or I or both of us may become temporarily disoriented. If I'm lost, and I'm not sure my buddy is not, I will surface. Ditto for him.
Everyone knows sawtooth dive profiles are a bad idea, especially when diving to depth. However, it's worse to take a guess at where you think the exit is, and miss badly, for the reasons given.

Hit the water with everything deflated and head down. Surface is the most dangerous place. Especially in rough conditions.

As a 'solo diver' do you find yourself entering the water and not resurfacing as is typical with buddy diving?? Simply re-checking your gear and plan after the bubbles clear beginning your dive??

When I hit the water, I am gone. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom