Regulators Int or DIN?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gusfedgar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Greetings from Argentina.
I am a new diver and I am looking forward to buy my own gear but regarding regulators I have a doubt which first stage reg should I buy INT 232, DIN 232 or DIN 300. Also I plan on taking it to wherever I travel. I am almost on buying a scubapro Mk 17/G250V, If someone could clear this I would appreciate it. Thank you.

DIN 300. These will fit both 232 and 300 valves and you can get an adapter to allow it to fit INT 232 for a few dollars.

Failing that get a DIN 232

Rupert

It really depends on where you will dive. We all agree that DIN connections are better, (with a scubapro DIN fitting, you can only get the longer or '300bar' fitting) but if you are traveling to the caribbean or U.S. you will see rental tanks with yoke valves (int) 90% of the time. I don't know about other destinations. You can use a yoke adapter, but it's an extra thing to buy and carry and it moves the reg an inch closer to your head, which is a lot.

If much of your diving will be at home with your own tanks, then a DIN reg makes the most sense.

Yes, I'd get a yoke reg first (assuming your local diving uses those) then a second din reg later, as needed. You may well find that your first reg is used mainly in warm water, but by the time you get your second you might be looking at colder water, which would necessitate a better reg anyway. I'm making lots of assumptions here :D

I don't know why the term "international" for reg mountings persists. It's purely an American term. I prefer the truly international name "yoke".

... but by the time you get your second you might be looking at colder water, which would necessitate a better reg anyway. I'm making lots of assumptions here :D

A better reg than a G250V and MK 17? Arguably there may be better regs but many would argue there isnt.

I say get DIN assuming you have access to DIN tanks locally. Worry about adaptors when you go travelling. Or better yet buy a Yoke fitting on Ebay and convert the reg to Yoke if you need to when travelling.

I don't know why the term "international" for reg mountings persists. It's purely an American term. I prefer the truly international name "yoke".
When you say "American," are you referring to the United States, or to North and South America? I have never seen "international" used to describe a regulator before the OP from Argentina used it. I have bought a half-dozen regulators in the United States. LeisurePro uses "yoke," as does Scubatoys, DiveGearExpress, Tech Diving Limited, and nearly everybody on the ScubaBoard (actually, a solid minority use "yolk," but that's another issue), whose membership is predominantly American. So while the usage may, in fact, be purely American, it is not the commonly used term for a yoke regulator anywhere.

We had problems using yokes above 3,000 psi. The "yoke converter plug" in our tank valves was not a robust item. After a few years of use, o-rings didn't seal very well at 3442 psi.

If you use a standard 3,000 psi tank with yoke valve, you should be OK.

I say get DIN assuming you have access to DIN tanks locally... (and) buy a Yoke fitting on Ebay and convert the reg to Yoke if you need to when travelling

Do this^

In Australia and Asia it's pretty common now for dive ops to have DIN tanks with a threaded international adaptor, that fits inside the DIN thread

I have never seen "international" used to describe a regulator before the OP from Argentina used it. .. So while the usage may, in fact, be purely American, it is not the commonly used term for a yoke regulator anywhere.

It's common in some parts of the world in reference to tank valves

It's common in some parts of the world in reference to tank valves
In Australia? Thanks. I guess it's not "purely an American term" then.

Back
Top Bottom