Dry gloves for N.E.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alright... a little physiology here... The human body is a wonderful thing ! When your body gets cold, it protects itself by restricting the blood flow into extremities, this is why you feel colder (faster) in your hands and feet since this is where your smallest arteries and veines are located, and this is the body's way to keep you as warm as possible (together with shaking). From above, if you're diving wet, the blood restriction will happen more quickly. Now, you dive dry... your body is kept much warmer than usual and for your brain it means you're feeling better, no need to restrict blood flow in your extremities, which means as well that is will keep flooding blood in your hands and keep them warmer than in your wetsuit dives ! This is why we typicaly tolerate wet gloves better while diving dry than wet !
Nature is really nice :D
Downside ? yes there is one :wink:
Lower temperature means you are most likely to dissolve more nitrogen into extremities than before, because the blood flow is not diminished and the temperature is lower (PV=nRT)... So you have to be more careful then usual in drysuit and cold diving as you tend to stay longer than before ! Nitrogen dissolved, means it is important to do a safety "deco" stop :) For most of us, we do it even without knowing it as it takes a while to come back into shore, but I think it is important we realize what we are doing in reality !
Does that help you ? Maybe... I dive, but I know what I'm doing, or at least I try to know as much as I can... Do I know everything ??? No ! I still have plenty to learn !! good thing :D

alright... a little physiology here... The human body is a wonderful thing ! When your body gets cold, it protects itself by restricting the blood flow into extremities, this is why you feel colder (faster) in your hands and feet since this is where your smallest arteries and veines are located, and this is the body's way to keep you as warm as possible (together with shaking). From above, if you're diving wet, the blood restriction will happen more quickly. Now, you dive dry... your body is kept much warmer than usual and for your brain it means you're feeling better, no need to restrict blood flow in your extremities, which means as well that is will keep flooding blood in your hands and keep them warmer than in your wetsuit dives ! This is why we typicaly tolerate wet gloves better while diving dry than wet !
Nature is really nice :D
Downside ? yes there is one :wink:
Lower temperature means you are most likely to dissolve more nitrogen into extremities than before, because the blood flow is not diminished and the temperature is lower (PV=nRT)... So you have to be more careful then usual in drysuit and cold diving as you tend to stay longer than before ! Nitrogen dissolved, means it is important to do a safety "deco" stop :) For most of us, we do it even without knowing it as it takes a while to come back into shore, but I think it is important we realize what we are doing in reality !
Does that help you ? Maybe... I dive, but I know what I'm doing, or at least I try to know as much as I can... Do I know everything ??? No ! I still have plenty to learn !! good thing :D

Yeah like I said.:D

Thanks for all the input...I think I am going with wet or semi dry gloves for my cold water diving, by "cold water" I mean cold for ma divers (below 45). any suggestions on specific gloves?

I too wonder why anyone voluntarily uses wet gloves in MA. I have used the Diving Concepts neoprene dry gloves for 5 years. They have been good gloves and I use them for everything...wrecks...lobstering..etc. As with any gloves, holes will develop and they need to be repaired. I have also used the DUI smurf gloves but found the DC gloves to be warmer.

You can get them on by yourself (helps to wax the ring) but you have to take off your suit (with the gloves still attached) to get them off by yourself.

Good luck with your search.

The good thing about Wet gloves is that we definitely do not care if they leak :wink: Mines have holes, I barely notice it !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom