Spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I disagree with both of you. Powerheads can provide a certain level of security.

Against Russian spies, sure.

Against a fish? You probably shouldn't be in the water hunting if you can't compose yourself enough to deal with a big, dumb, fish.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

in the past I've seen Dive Locker in PCB offer an intro to spearfishing class (or more like a sales clinic). anyone know if they still do this?

If you can't fish without the use of powerheads, you shouldn't be in the water. I can't think of a bigger waste.

Would you get into blue water with lots of big tuna around? With no power head? I guess I might. But there are some big sharks hanging around.

Against a fish? You probably shouldn't be in the water hunting if you can't compose yourself enough to deal with a big, dumb, fish.

I don't know how dumb they (the fish) are, but I don't feel a power head is necessary either (if I was in the open ocean with longimanus I might think otherwise) Literally every shark I have ever swam towards has swam away from me. Finding the will to swim towards a 200+ pounder isn't always easy though.

When was the last time any of you guys heard about a Gulf diver or spearfisher being bitten by a shark? They're after free meals, not after a fight.

A big, dumb fish:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:
That is a pretty close minded statement about an organism that has been evolving to become an apex predator for the past 500 million years.

As for spearfishermen being attacked I know there was a spearfisherman attacked near Santa Cruz a few weeks ago and I read there was a man killed in Australia last month too. Due to the low numbers of spearfishermen I think it would be hard to get some good data on the correlation between spearfishing and attacks.

Would you get into blue water with lots of big tuna around? With no power head? I guess I might. But there are some big sharks hanging around.

Definately :)

A big, dumb fish:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:
That is a pretty close minded statement about an organism that has been evolving to become an apex predator for the past 500 million years.

Is it? Sure they are evolved, to be the apex predator in an environment we aren't part of... Evolution and intelligence are by no means interchangable, get over it.

walke121:
As for spearfishermen being attacked I know there was a spearfisherman attacked near Santa Cruz a few weeks ago and I read there was a man killed in Australia last month too. Due to the low numbers of spearfishermen I think it would be hard to get some good data on the correlation between spearfishing and attacks.

Links? Herese?

I just don't hear about it, and spearfisherman are prevelant around any coastline.

I'm not too worried about a single fish, but when they get in a pack and get aggressive and I am solo, I sometimes like to have a plan B.

Back
Top Bottom