Maldives or Phuket? Best option for a novice diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kate_Canuck

Reaction score
I'll be going to Mumbai and then to Bangkok for a business trip in early April, and hope to fit in a diving long weekend. I'm a novice diver (2 post-certification dives after completing a course in NZ). I'm looking for an easy-to-access resort area, a reputable operator who works well with novices, and reliable equipment (I can't pack more than mask, snorkel, gloves and boots on this business trip). I'd be willing to pay extra to dive one-on-one with a divemaster (these will be my first dives in 4 mos). I was thinking of Phuket (although I know it's a bit touristy), but I'm open to other suggestions. Cost is not an issue on this trip (since a large part of the non-holiday portion costs are paid for). The priority for me is to have a reasonably easy, interesting and safe dive - not to push limits at this stage. Any warnings about popular dive sites in that are too challenging for a novice would also be appreciated, so that I can make the right choice when I get there.

I'd skip Phuket for Krabi or PhiPhi, the Maldives are horribly expensive and you enjoy them more with a bit of experience, due to very strong currents.

Not to mention I'm not sure you'd be able to stay just a few days outside the classical standard of one week or multiples thereof.

Phuket offers more variety ranging from shore dives, longtail dives to sites only 5 minutes from the shore (easy, relaxing diving to max 18 meters, very few dive shops offer this option), daytrips and Liveaboards. Patong is very touristy but Karon, Kata and Kata Noi beaches are less hectic.

If you do similans be aware that there are often strong currents on the dive sites there, dont know how they compare to maldives... there is a large range of dive sites though and your best bet would be to speak to the dive operators and ask their opinion on what dives to do.

the set up is better than in either Phi Phi (which is dirty and smelly) or Krabi.
There is more to do (divesites wise) and the dive schools are better set up for chillin' diving.
So I agree about skipping the Maldives at the moment. But Phuket is a good bet.

Thanks for your advice. I'm going to go to Phuket, and save the Maldives for a trip when I have more experience and more time.

I don't know. Maldives is much nicer diving and since price isn't a consideration. But sure go to Phuket first and save the best for later.

Quote : "Maldives is much nicer diving"

Ooh, dude, very controversial.

I think we should have a vote on this. I think opinions will be divided. We have a lot of customers who have dived the Maldives and I tell you honestly - it must be 50/50 : Some say Maldives is better, some say Phuket/Similan Islands is better.

Hard to base it on just one dive trip of course. You could have a cr*p trip due to the weather, or maybe those pesky mantas just weren't there. The next week you have sun, calm seas and loh! and behold! a whale shark, so it's the best dive trip in the world!

Belushi:
the set up is better than in either Phi Phi (which is dirty and smelly) or Krabi.
There is more to do (divesites wise) and the dive schools are better set up for chillin' diving.
So I agree about skipping the Maldives at the moment. But Phuket is a good bet.
Friendly Greets to my Bluse Bro,
Whats up w/ the dirty smelly theme on Phi Phi? I spent a happy month there last November and although it is far from "paradise" what with many people and a tourist atmosphere I still found it better than Phuket by a long shot. Maybe things have changed since you were last there? Phi Phi has some nice sites to dive and generaly the boat ride is less than from Phuket. I would do Phi Phi over Phuket without question . I suppose subjective experience is the key....? Regardless, Hin Daeng & Hin Muang are my personal favorites in the area.

I can base this on hundreds of dives in Phuket/Similans (almost 2years) with hundreds of dives in the North Male Atoll (over 8 months). I saw 8 whale sharks in Thailand, none in the Maldives but lots of mantas. I have heard there is substantial coral bleaching in the Maldives now though.

Nevertheless, as :54: far as I was concerned there was no comparison.

Sunrise:
Quote : "Maldives is much nicer diving"

Ooh, dude, very controversial.

I think we should have a vote on this. I think opinions will be divided. We have a lot of customers who have dived the Maldives and I tell you honestly - it must be 50/50 : Some say Maldives is better, some say Phuket/Similan Islands is better.

Hard to base it on just one dive trip of course. You could have a cr*p trip due to the weather, or maybe those pesky mantas just weren't there. The next week you have sun, calm seas and loh! and behold! a whale shark, so it's the best dive trip in the world!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom