Votes: 2 16.7%
  • January 16th

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Both are equal

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looking at Google Maps of the area, you can get a pretty good view of the silo 32.210441, -100.050988 - Google Maps

Are there other silos in the area?

If you zoom this map out a little you can see a lot of windmills in the windmill farm.

I believe Mark said there were many of them surrounding Abilene, but this is the only one flooded and open to divers. There are many of them for sale all across the country. People buy them for homes.

The Strategic Air Command constructed hundreds of intercontinental missile silos in under-populated parts of the country. One cluster is near Abilene, Texas, where the 578th SMS, based at Dyess Air Force Base, operated 12 Atlas F missile bases from 1961-1965. Five of these are along a road officially designated in 2001 as the Atlas ICBM Highway -- FM 604.

Got this from:
Missile Base Bachelor Pad, Oplin, Texas

Imagine buying a missile silo to convert to a living quarters! :)

A Bed and Breakfast would generate some interest for a lot of folks just to say they had been there... the same reason we are heading out there for a dive.

I used to work with a Ben Odom up in Prudhoe Bay... any relation?

Imagine buying a missile silo to convert to a living quarters! :)

A Bed and Breakfast would generate some interest for a lot of folks just to say they had been there... the same reason we are heading out there for a dive.

I used to work with a Ben Odom up in Prudhoe Bay... any relation?

How many we got that are going the 23rd so far?

we currently have 13 going!

Is this trip still scheduled for Jan 23rd or is it being rescheduled to go with Lone Star Scuba on Feb 20&21 ? We need to know ASAP to make the necessary plans.

23rd. You guys paid for the 23rd of January, i sure hope ya'll show up!

Back
Top Bottom