Dive Report, Breakwater, Sunday 12/20

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, this last weekend was certainly one not to miss. I love seeing all these beginning-of-the-week dive reports to brighten my working day :)

It was really neat. Thanks for the info on logbooks, it seems silly to continue to spend $15 to log 40 dives. Both the ones I have, half of them are training record. Time to move on to something else. Barge junkie? Yeah, probably, I'm now out looking for neat stuff, not just out to be out. I still haven't found any spanish shawls though, that'll be my next challenge. Oooh, or leopard shark.

Re logbooks, I just make my own logbook pages using Word and/or Excel, two side-by side pages on a (landscape format) 8.5" x 11" sheet. Since I tend to write copious notes, the back side of the pages are just blank with lines, the top line repeating the Date, Location and Dive # from the front. I keep a master copy which I take to a copy place whenever I need refills - I think it works out to something like 4.5 cents per double-sided logbook page, or $4.50/100, although I generally only make 20 or so pages at a time as the design evolves.

After making my copies and cutting the sheets in two (giving me two 5.5" x 8.5" log pages per sheet), I use a hole punch to put three PADI-logbook-spaced holes in the pages (the spacing is standard for smaller three-ring binders, which you can pick up at any Office Max/Depot). I wound up buying a fake leather organizer/day planner to use for a logbook, as it has lots more pockets, slots etc. for all the little cards, tables etc. I carry than the standard Cordura diving ones. Whenever I fill it (it holds around 200 log pages plus map, equipment, address and other pages) I'll transfer some/all of the log pages to a small, cheap plastic three-ring binder (see Office Max above), then refill with new pages.

If you don't feel like doing your own from scratch, there are companies which allow you to make your own pages using their software online, then print the pages and send them to you - googling "custom dive logs" should bring them up. Or you can go to an all-computer-based log (some of which are also available online). How much you can customize the commercial programs varies.

When you do your own logbook pages the nice thing is that you can have only the info you need in the most convenient arrangement for you, and leave off the rest. And you can change the design as often as you wish, as your diving (and your logbook needs) change. I'm currently up to v1.82 on mine, most of which have been relatively minor tweaks. Once I go tech the revision will be greater, as I'll need places for deco gas and multiple stop info.

Re Spanish shawls, I think I've seen one or two at the barge, but they're rare. I saw one swimming at the metridium fields once. Offhand I can't remember any site that seems more likely to have them, unlike say Hermissenda, but there are some serious slug geeks here and on ba_diving who'd probably know the most likely spots.

Guy

Re Spanish shawls, I think I've seen one or two at the barge, but they're rare. I saw one swimming at the metridium fields once. Offhand I can't remember any site that seems more likely to have them, unlike say Hermissenda, but there are some serious slug geeks here and on ba_diving who'd probably know the most likely spots.
Guy

For whatever reason, I tend find spanish shawls more commonly on the shale in monterey (e.g. anchors, shale island, etc.), or deep in Carmel/Lobos (100'+).

Sounds like you had a great time! Thanks for sharing with us, especially those who were dry all weekend.
Don, I guess you know by now that you really missed some great diving this past weekend. I took Clara out Sunday morning to N. Monastery and it was simply awesome. Nothing but ankle-biters on the way in and out, and visibility was over 40'. I kept her down 70 min., max depth 119, and she came back with 200 psi more air than I had (both of us using HP100's). This girl is getting good!

Bruce

Don, I guess you know by now that you really missed some great diving this past weekend. I took Clara out Sunday morning to N. Monastery and it was simply awesome. Nothing but ankle-biters on the way in and out, and visibility was over 40'. I kept her down 70 min., max depth 119, and she came back with 200 psi more air than I had (both of us using HP100's). This girl is getting good!

Bruce

Wow! You guys too? Well, I guess it's a little easier for you, but still glad to hear that you had a fantastic dive.

I definitely missed out, but if I was able to dive, I'm sure viz would have dropped to <10' and everyone would be bummed.

Tonight swells at BW were pretty big & the water was quite churned up so we passed on a night dive. Crossing my fingers for a better day tomorrow ;-).

Re logbooks, I just make my own logbook pages using Word and/or Excel, two side-by side pages on a (landscape format) 8.5" x 11" sheet.

BTW, a company called Rite-In-The-Rain has waterproof laser printer paper. I use it
for log book pages and a a few other apps on my boat. Note: it does NOT work on
ink jet printers because the ink can't soak in. And it works best on a laser printer
that has a straight through paper path (my HP does).

I had an OW class out at Breakwater. It was very nice to have good conditions for a change. Also, there were not 300 students in the water as well.

Tonight swells at BW were pretty big & the water was quite churned up so we passed on a night dive. Crossing my fingers for a better day tomorrow ;-).

Seeing as how I missed out on diving last weekend mainly due to inertia/laziness, I'm thinking/planning of heading down XMAS Day to explore around Lover's a bit, if the forecast holds. The buoy at Hopkins was recording 3 to 3.3 foot wave heights all day today, so hopefully that will continue.

Guy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom