PRAM Freeflow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rstofer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
When I used my PRAM in the pool a couple of months ago, it was perfect. Last Saturday when I used it again, it had a slight freeflow.

I haven't checked the IP (although I have the gauge) but I was wondering if this is the kind of thing that is easy to adjust or should I just send it back to VDH for service?

FWIW, the flow was quite small and the IP (whatever is was) didn't cause my Oceanic Omega II to freeflow.

Richard

If the leak starts immediately upon pressurization, and the IP remains stable, then it is most likely the second stage seat leaking. With time, the soft seat material takes on a surface indentation where it is pressed against the hard seat orifice. Typically, this takes a few years to develop a leak. It is a quick, and easy fix when the cans are separated. I suggest contacting Bryan and making arrangements to have it shipped to him.

Greg

My old DA Aqua-Master used to do that, usually right after I got it back from being serviced. I just backed off the nut on the second stage about 1/8 to 1/4 turn and it stopped. If the IP is too high, back it off 1/8 to 1/4 turn.

When I used my PRAM in the pool a couple of months ago, it was perfect. Last Saturday when I used it again, it had a slight freeflow.

I haven't checked the IP (although I have the gauge) but I was wondering if this is the kind of thing that is easy to adjust or should I just send it back to VDH for service?

FWIW, the flow was quite small and the IP (whatever is was) didn't cause my Oceanic Omega II to freeflow.

Richard

Like the others said. I suspect the IP might need a little adjusting, lower.

If the O ring at the volcano orifice is leaking you will see an IP rise much as like a leaking seat.

But I would pull the top can and put the reg on a tank. Install and IP gauge if you have one. Pressurize the reg and see where it is leaking. Bump the lever a few times and see if it stops. If it stops then just drop the IP down to about 135 to 140 psi.

The second stage seat could be leaking, have to check that too, per Greg.

These things are easy to work on, might be time to learn.

N

I think I'll try Nemrod's suggestions and if I fail, I will send it to VDH. I really would like to know more about servicing these regs.

Maybe I'll look at it Friday (yes, I know...) because I have a pool session scheduled for Saturday.

Thanks!
Richard

I give this warning now and again, please do not put your lips around the outlet horn --as a test--- and inhale, you may take your last breath. This is especially true with the single stage but the double stage are not much more healthy in that regard.

These twin hose regulators have powerful venturi effects unlike single hose regs because it helps to push the air down the hose or blow a hole in your lung, as you prefer.

N

I give this warning now and again, please do not put your lips around the outlet horn --as a test--- and inhale, you may take your last breath. This is especially true with the single stage but the double stage are not much more healthy in that regard.

These twin hose regulators have powerful venturi effects unlike single hose regs because it helps to push the air down the hose or blow a hole in your lung, as you prefer.

N

Nem, I have done it more than a few times and can't see that happening. They will suck the diaphragm down if there is no restriction on the horn at all but if there is the slightest bit it won't.
I have taken some mighty heavy inhalations right off the horn and it is no different than with the hoses on.
Taking a hard inhalation on a Mares MR II, now that is blasting air down the old wind pipe.

Nem, I have done it more than a few times and can't see that happening. They will suck the diaphragm down if there is no restriction on the horn at all but if there is the slightest bit it won't.
I have taken some mighty heavy inhalations right off the horn and it is no different than with the hoses on.

I am going to have to disagree with you in this extremely rare, if one and only, case. There is a reason I say this (personal experience). I am sure everyone is going to come out of the woods now and say they do this all the time, all I can say is the one time too many will be an eye opener.

Not exactly the same but similar, for years, I have been told, as are many, don't direct compressed air at your skin, such as from a nozzle, blah, blah, blah, and I had never seen any problem, until the other day. The fellows arm blew up like a balloon from 90 psi air. :no:

Compressed air directly down the throat, I will pass on. It only takes once to ruin your day. :no:

N

Not exactly the same but similar, for years, I have been told, as are many, don't direct compressed air at your skin, such as from a nozzle, blah, blah, blah, and I had never seen any problem, until the other day. The fellows arm blew up like a balloon from 90 psi air.
N

I think this is why OSHA mandates nozzles that have side exits and flow volumes low enough that this type of accident can not occur.

For certain, the nozzle in my shop is of the OSHA approved variety.

I heard the story of the guy that injected grease under his skin from a high pressure grease gun. I don't recall the ending but I think is was pretty grim.

Oh, and don't spin up ball bearings with an air gun and let them fly across the floor.

Richard

Richard,

I would second Greg, Captain, and Nem. I consider some things, like IP adjustment and second stage seat adjustment, to be well within the "end user" realm of things. I am not saying that you should break the whole thing down, but I think it would be a great move for you to nail that stuff now. I've adjusted second stages or IP on dive boats before and saved dives, and that's good stuff.

Back
Top Bottom