Lack of bubbles in Sherwood 1st stage.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slackercruster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
There is a small port with rubber top on my Sherwood 1st stage. It is supposed to have a constant stream of bubbles coming from it when in the water.

If no bubbles are emitting from it and it seems clogged what does this mean? Also what is this port called?

There is a small port with rubber top on my Sherwood 1st stage. It is supposed to have a constant stream of bubbles coming from it when in the water.

If no bubbles are emitting from it and it seems clogged what does this mean? Also what is this port called?

most likely have had water enter 1st stage..when it gets its annual service the piston most likely will have to be replaced.

I know of no regulator that is supposed to have a constant stream of bubbles coming from it. Air coming from anywhere other than the mpouthpiece is indication of a problem.

Depending on the vintage of the first stage, either the "flow control element" in the piston or the flow control element in the body is clogged. This is the means by which a calibrated flow of air is leaked into the ambient chamber of the body and pressurizes until it overcomes resistance of the rubber plug that you see from the outside. A normal first stage has bubbles. If no bubbles, the stage needs work.

The fix is either to replace the piston (early models) or the element (later models); neither fix is particularly expensive. Get the reg serviced and tell the tech about it. He'll fix it.

The manufacturer calls the port the "flow control valve", but I just call it the bubbler--easier to remember!

P.S. Captain, I hate to bust your bubble (pun intended...), but you are wrong on that one. Sherwoods indeed are supposed to have the bubbles.

Sherwood regs are designed with a dry bleed system that keep them evironmentally sealed ( air press. escaping prevents anything from entering ) As said before sounds like some water entered the first stage (likely by rinsing without the dust cap on, or imersing the first stage in water when it is not under pressure) The reg will need service as it is not working properly, and the sooner the better, because if it is salt water, the damage will grow with time!

I know of no regulator that is supposed to have a constant stream of bubbles coming from it. Air coming from anywhere other than the mpouthpiece is indication of a problem.

sherwood does.its designed to keep water out of the 1st stage.very tiny amount of air lost during dive. not even a full breath worth..common for the piston to get contaminated during a after dive rinse if the dust cap is left off it.if piston gets contaminated the air bleed system does not work.The piston is unlikely to be cleaned completely enough to work again,even in a ultrasound bath.I tried and never had it succeed.Always had to replace the piston.Cost of piston is something like $30.

Sherwood regs using their dry bleed system release a slow stream of bubbles. It's not a problem it's designed that way.

Sherwood has been that way for many years. Simple and regs that just work with few moving parts.
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom