Insurance for equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dynobob

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I need some expert advice on insuring equipment and housings. Is it best to insure with a speciality company and who are the best companies. Can homeowners insurance cover the losses? What is needed as far as coverage? Deductables? What are your experiences?

dynobob

I use State Farm since all of my other insurance is through them as well. It's a separate policy (not sure what it's called) and costs me about $70 a year to insure all of my gear (from wetsuits to tanks) including my camera.

I did need to document everything with pictures and work with my local agent closely. (non-diver)

Hope this helps

You could also check into DAN they offer through a third party. Shop around and get the best price!

I think it depends whether you do it for fun or for a job.

If you do it for fun, probably better just to make sure it is covered under your homeowners policy.

If you do it for a job, you will probably need (and would be better off getting) a "tools of the trade" policy; that can also cover any lost income associated with stolen, lost, destroyed dive gear.

State Farm is the best and cheepest you can get. It is called a Personal Property insurance policy. Your homeowners insurance, if you have it, will most likely not cover scuba equipment when you are using it, unless you diver inside your house.

DAN and PADI have programs, but they are expensive compaired to State Farm and they have a lot of exclusions and clauses. My State Farm policy only has about four or five pages to it and it is a full replacement for everything except loss by dropping some thiong over the side from a boat.

I used to use state farm for insuring my dive gear but when it came time to actually getting them to pay out on a claim I had alot of troubling getting my stuff covered. Because I was using it for professional purposes and the Personal Property policy is limited to items not used for business purposes which even though I was on a none professional dive when the damage occured they still insisted that since I use the equipment in a professional capacity that it is not covered.

I too have a rider policy with State Farm and our dive gear..(Including tanks, puters, regs, ect, ect.) Cost about 85 bucks....

Call your insurance company. My SCUBA gear is all covered by my homeowner' insurance (the same applies to my bicycle and my instruments) provided that I don't use them for commercial purposes. There's no extra charge.

That's my policy; yours will likely vary.

Hmm.. I use H2O Insurance. My homeowners deductible is $1000.00 and I don't really want to damage my rates for 3 years again with a claim. H2O Insurance covers about $6500.00 worth of camera gear for $220.00 a year with a $250.00 deductible. It covers travel and U/W loss with the exception of having gear fly off the boat or get left underwater.

Try this visit this insurrance " dive-master.net/equipment ". Maybe it is usefull for many u/w photographers.

Cheers,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom