PRAM Freeflow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's the other important point that Nemrod just mentioned. Bryan will fix it for very little, and he always backs his work. I have had nothing but good experiences with his business.

I bought 2 regs from Bryan (RAM and Mistral) and he upgraded my DA AM (eBay) to PRAM. Absolutely no question about VDH!

So, having adjusted the little nut in and out over some range, I came to the conclusion that no amount of adjusting will stop the freeflow.

It's off the VDH on Monday.

Thanks for the information guys! If I had more DH regs and some parts, I would probably experiment. But this PRAM is the one I like to dive so I think it is better to have it professionally repaired.

Richard

Last edited:
I bought 2 regs from Bryan (RAM and Mistral) and he upgraded my DA AM (eBay) to PRAM. Absolutely no question about VDH!

So, having adjusted the little nut in and out over some range, I came to the conclusion that no amount of adjusting will stop the freeflow.

It's off the VDH on Monday.

Thanks for the information guys! If I had more DH regs and some parts, I would probably experiment. But this PRAM is the one I like to dive so I think it is better to have it professionally repaired.

Richard

It kind of sounds like you may have a weak 2nd stage spring, but send it back to Bryan is your best way to find out for sure. Diagnosing over the Internet is not always reliable.

Richard

Don't worry... just give it time... you will :)

:D

Luis,

I didn't know Bryan was selling 'kits'! I just bought a DA AM kit that I can play with to further my knowledge. If it never works, it doesn't matter!

There is no doubt I will learn a lot more about DH regs with no risk to the regs I intend to dive. Or, I now have 4 DH regs...

Richard

Luis,

I didn't know Bryan was selling 'kits'! I just bought a DA AM kit that I can play with to further my knowledge. If it never works, it doesn't matter!

There is no doubt I will learn a lot more about DH regs with no risk to the regs I intend to dive. Or, I now have 4 DH regs...

Richard

LOL, you now have 4 regulators. :rofl3:

N

LOL, you now have 4 regulators. :rofl3:

N

Me too. :shakehead: 2DA, 1 Mistral, 1 RAM.

My wife will kill you guys if she ever finds you. :D

Education is never free. I figure it is worth something to learn how the regulators function even if the 'kit' reg never works. Then again, I might actually get it to work! It could happen... I have extra hoses, wagon wheels, mushroom valves and the other bits it takes to make a full functioning regulator. Who knows? I might even dive the thing; just to say I did.

I am really excited about the 'kit'. What a terrific opportunity!

Bryan also has a Mistral 'kit'. That is even more interesting in its simplicity. Unfortunately, I can't convert that to a Phoenix so I'll let it pass; for a while.

Richard

Now Slonda has me wanting a Broxton, only I need a Phoenix, and a bunch of other misc. parts from VDH. Oh, it never ends. :idk:

Adjusting a pram is no different than any other reg in terms of how it works.

Start at the first stage, if the IP is stable and in range (anything in the 110-150 psi ange will work most of the time) then move on to the second stage. Adjust the nut on top of the seat holder to get the spring pressure required to adjust it just short of a free flow. Check the lever height and as long as the lever height is not too high (freeflows when the diaphram is installed) or too low (requires excessive depression of the dipahragm to initiate air flow) you are good to go. If the lever height is problematic, go back to the IP adjustment to get what you need to increase or decrease the pressure on the second stage seat.

But with a DA, PRAM, etc, lever height is just not an issue unless something is seriously screwed up.

---

If someone needs a PRAM, I have one for sale. Very good chrome, custom pheonix label, new diaphragm, mushroom valves, hoses, mouthpiece, etc.

Here is a link to the outcome of your regulator:
Vintage Double Hose • View topic - Tale of a free flowing Phoenix

It had a damaged second stage seat with an imbedded metal particle.
There are some good pictures on that post.

Education is never free. I figure it is worth something to learn how the regulators function even if the 'kit' reg never works. Then again, I might actually get it to work! It could happen... I have extra hoses, wagon wheels, mushroom valves and the other bits it takes to make a full functioning regulator. Who knows? I might even dive the thing; just to say I did.

I am really excited about the 'kit'. What a terrific opportunity!

Bryan also has a Mistral 'kit'. That is even more interesting in its simplicity. Unfortunately, I can't convert that to a Phoenix so I'll let it pass; for a while.

Richard

Putting together one of those kits is a great way to learn more about regulators. You should have no problem getting it to be a great diving regulator. One of the beauties of these regulators is how simple and reliable they are. And they are very easy to service.

Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom