Air flow from first stage when opening tank.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the OP came in with his reg showing this leak I would do exactly what mattboy, ScubaInChicago and DA have mentioned. I have seen examples of both a loose DIN fitting and damaged o-ring where the fitting meets the body. One thing you do learn both in the reg seminars (and yes, some are better than others) and OTJ training is to troubleshoot. If this reg was presented to me I would not feel I had done my job unless I had checked the internal o-rings and the DIN/body connection, as well as the correct torque. If I had to change an o-ring and maybe do a bit of thread cleaning might I charge a bit for this? Possibly. $50? Almost certainly not, unless I had to do a complete rebuild.

At least at the conclusion I would feel confident that the reg was working properly and that the OP wouldn't be returning with the same issue.

Problem fixed. :)
Took it to the local shop. The DIN fitting was as suggested by everyone indeed loose.
So he took it off and replaced the o-ring inside and tightened it again.
(The o-ring I mentioned in my second post was the outer one where you tighten to the tank.) Afterwards we checked it on one of the tanks in the shop.
He only charged me for the o-ring, but I gave him abit for the work anyway.

A hex key is not the same as torque. A torque wrench looks like a big handle with a ratcheting end on it. It can be set to a specific level of force to tighten a connection. Most regs have specific torque settings. Simply hand tightening probably did not come close to the correct torque setting.

A majority of the service manuals I have don't specify a torque pressure for the DIN connector.

A majority of the service manuals I have don't specify a torque pressure for the DIN connector.

Strange. Checked a random group of ScubaPro, Apeks, Oceanic, Genesis and Mares. Just some easy ones to pull up- all had torque specs listed. I guess when I check the specs in the middle of a rebuild I am in the minority.

So I take it a torque is preffered and the proper way, but not done by alot of shops?
Is this because of laziness or is there not an agreement on how important it is?
Other than not tightening it enough makes it more likely to loosen again, are there any other dangers? Like tighten it too hard can damage it?

Guess I should ask him if he usually uses a torque wrench as his shop is the one servicing almost everybody in my club regs etc (150+ people).

It is because a torque wrench is expensive
In the mares manual you find sentences like, if you have a torque wrench use this setting otherwise do it by hand and put some loctite compound on the threads

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom