Dive Vessel From The Past

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Danny Crowell sold the Seeker to a guy by the name of Mike Jensen. Jensen ran the boat for about a year or so out of RI. He ran up a big yard bill, took a bunch of deposits from any number of people (including me), and then promptly went out of business. I assume he has disappeared from diving? I think there was some sort of Sheriff's sale, and where the boat went to from there is anyone's guess?

The Seeker was almost 60' of wood hull, and built in the early 80's. Not exactly in big demand I would suppose?

Regardless, thanks for posting the picture.

Cheers

JC

Yeah, that's exactly how it went down (intentionally sarcastic). :shakehead: It seems you got your timeline wrong John.

Tampico ED, JC was on the last trip in May 2006 and it went great. Full boat, great weather, etc. I'm sure JC and RK remember that they didn't get charged for the trip or the T shirts and hoodies I gave them (or the sorb I provided JC for his 8 minute CCR dive on the U853. 8 minutes because that's how long it took him to flood his unit). Never even a thank you.

All of the deposits were received months before the SHTF. RK missed his deadline for his final payment and according to the contract, that voided the agreement and all deposits would be forfeited. Obviously I didn't intend to keep the deposit because of that, just contract verbage to keep people on a schedule.

This is the last post from me on this thread.

Oh_the_Drama.jpg

Wow... its cool to see a pic of that boat. Its like a slice of the History Channel right here on ScubaBoard. It would be sad to see it go the way of the Calypso. But time is relentless.

The Seeker is still sitting in RI in a boatyard after it went up for auction. A member of our dive club actually went and located it this fall and took some photos. He did a short story about her too.

Below is the link if you want to read the story he wrote about finding it - ignore the first few pages; I just did an order of shirts for some old "Seeker Groupies" this month with Dan's orginal logo.

The story starts on Page 3 of this link.

http://www.capediveclub.com/SeekerShirt.pdf

That ladder was a nightmare in any type of seas (as the "boys" still remember from taking it between the legs one time) and climbing it with a tool and goodie bags was a real workout. Add a camera etc. and it sucked.

Seems I missed ordering another "T" shirt from the Doria Days. I have good memories.

The newer ladder wasn't too bad when they had Enrique make a Christmas tree-style ladder. We tried it out on a Algol dive a number of years back. The other one...not so great after coming back up and huffing on mixed gas in rough seas.

X

Mike Jensen,

You feel the need to be sarcastic? To me? Really? You are getting back into the dive business? Really?

You took $10,000 from Richie Kohler and myself in January 2006, which was pretty much industry standard for a Doria trip. You insisted on the entire balance (total $20,000) in May, for a July charter, which was not standard. Richie held $3,000 for the day of the charter, with your approval. We came to RI simply to see if the boat was ready, before we handed over the second payment.

Let me see, dive charter for 2, $150. T-Shirt, $20. Sweatshirt, $35. Sorb, $20. Your whining little post.... priceless. You ripped me off for $17,000, and you are complaining about a T-shirt? And you want to criticize my diving? Are you kidding?

You swore up and down you were not the kind of guy to rip anyone off, and that you would make good on it. I am still waiting. Did you lose my address? I guess I could feel really bad about being robbed, but you did it to a whole bunch of people. You took deposits for all your trips, and then went out of business. As near as I can tell, you took something like $150,000 in trip deposits, on a $75,000 vessel, and then did not run anything, but away.

IMHO, you are pathetic and dishonest. Pay me back the $17,000 you owe me, and I will apologize. Other than that, you can crawl back into the little hole you popped out of, and go back to being a lumberjack.

Gosh, I wonder why you don't want to post on this thread anymore?

Cheers

John Chatterton

Yeah, that's exactly how it went down (intentionally sarcastic). :shakehead: It seems you got your timeline wrong John.

Tampico ED, JC was on the last trip in May 2006 and it went great. Full boat, great weather, etc. I'm sure JC and RK remember that they didn't get charged for the trip or the T shirts and hoodies I gave them (or the sorb I provided JC for his 8 minute CCR dive on the U853. 8 minutes because that's how long it took him to flood his unit). Never even a thank you.

All of the deposits were received months before the SHTF. RK missed his deadline for his final payment and according to the contract, that voided the agreement and all deposits would be forfeited. Obviously I didn't intend to keep the deposit because of that, just contract verbiage to keep people on a schedule.

This is the last post from me on this thread.

Thank you for the post, and thanks to Don for the nice short story with pics as well.

I still have a few of the old T-shirts around, so I don't think I need any new ones.

Cheers

JC

The Seeker is still sitting in RI in a boatyard after it went up for auction. A member of our dive club actually went and located it this fall and took some photos. He did a short story about her too.

Below is the link if you want to read the story he wrote about finding it - ignore the first few pages; I just did an order of shirts for some old "Seeker Groupies" this month with Dan's orginal logo.

The story starts on Page 3 of this link.

http://www.capediveclub.com/SeekerShirt.pdf

John...sorry to know of the truly cruddy circumstances in your post above. The Seeker was always more fun when you were on board during Danny and Jen's day with the old gal.

Best

X

I always had fun on the old Seeker, going back to 1984. Well, almost always?? It had more than its fair share of drama, but I saw a lot of interesting stuff from her decks over the years. As a wreck diver, I kind of grew up on the Seeker and overall I am a pretty fortunate guy with no complaints.

Regardless, thanks for the nice comments.

Cheers

JC

Seeker_at_the_dock.jpg

John...sorry to know of the truly cruddy circumstances in your post above. The Seeker was always more fun when you were on board during Danny and Jen's day with the old gal.

Best

X

Back
Top Bottom