Recommendations - DC800 or DC1000?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lmscott

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi! It's been ages since I've been on Scubaboard, but I thought I needed to check in again. I've read most of the newer posts in the SeaLife section to see what everyone had to say about the different models. At the moment, I have a DC600. I've had it for a while. It takes great underwater photos. A friend of mine loves my photos and has asked if he could buy my camera so I could upgrade. Well, then there's the decision of whether to get a DC800 or DC1000.

I was wondering if you all had any recommendations for me. Maybe you know if there are more problems with one than the other, or perhaps one is simply better-liked by some of you? Or maybe I should just keep my camera because it's working fine? Suggestions anyone? :confused:

Thanks so much!

I owned both and believe that the dc 1000 is a much better camera. The dc1000 also can take the wide angle lens.

Thanks for your reply! You mean to tell me that wide angle lens I have now won't fit the DC800? That was sort of stupid on SeaLife's part. So, my lens will definitely fit the DC1000?

I've also seen a few posts where people have talked about the sound not being very good with video taken with the camera. Have you found this to be true? And what about battery life..... will the battery get me through at least 2 dives?

Thanks! :D

I have the DC800 and DC600. The 800's battery life is definitely a lot longer. I usually run the batteries down to nothing halfway into the second dive with the 600. I bet I could get 3 dives out of one DC 800 battery. I can't speak for the DC1000, but I would think the battery would be similar.

I recently checked with my shop, who carries Sealife products, and was told the DC800 and DC1000 are already out of production and new models will be out early 2010. So, you might be able to find a really good deal on an 800 or 1000 soon.

Thanks for your reply! You mean to tell me that wide angle lens I have now won't fit the DC800? That was sort of stupid on SeaLife's part. So, my lens will definitely fit the DC1000?

I've also seen a few posts where people have talked about the sound not being very good with video taken with the camera. Have you found this to be true? And what about battery life..... will the battery get me through at least 2 dives?

Thanks! :D

Yes the dc800 is not made for wide angle. Never really use the video so cannot help you there. I have rechargeable batteries(powerex2700) they have lasted multiple dives without a problem

I have the DC800 and DC600. The 800's battery life is definitely a lot longer. I usually run the batteries down to nothing halfway into the second dive with the 600. I bet I could get 3 dives out of one DC 800 battery. I can't speak for the DC1000, but I would think the battery would be similar.

I recently checked with my shop, who carries Sealife products, and was told the DC800 and DC1000 are already out of production and new models will be out early 2010. So, you might be able to find a really good deal on an 800 or 1000 soon.

Wow I didnt hear that. Sealife Joe is this true??

Oops, forgot about your sound question. I haven't really used the video mode out of the water, but you can clearly hear bubbles and boat motors underwater with the DC800 in video mode. It appears to be the same sound quality as the DC600 in video mode.

Thanks for all the input. Sounds like I just need to wait a couple of months and see if there are some good deals on the 1000. I would like to be able to use my wide angle lens if I get another SeaLife camera. The longer-lasting battery sounds good too. I've always felt that the battery life for the 500 and 600 was too short.

I have the DC1000 and yes, the WA lens will fit it, which is one reason I bought it instead of the DC800. Battery life is great, too.

Probably, a DC1200, but still no HD if this one shows up:
MINOX Germany: Technical Data DC 1211

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom