New TSA directives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You said the dirty word "Politics" I got banned on the Mexico thread for that one! You have to talk about PeePing in your seat, but don't talk about the failed policy of this administration after ITs bashing of the last! We have to pretend that this was not a POLITICAL SCREW UP and we all pay the price! Yes that will be for more checked bags for divers, but it's for your own good, the Obama Nation knows best! We are in a WAR and we need to call a Camel a Camel and not too many Palominos are blowing up their underwear! Why can't we credential frequent fliers? Because we can't even watch the Watch List! This administration has the CIA scared of their own shadow! Look at the Marines being court marshaled for arresting a terrorist! "The system worked well" really? Who believes that? Unless your an radicalized Islamic Terrorist? I am sure I will be banned for the truth again, but that's the way it goes!

I think it will come down to the first few people willing to refuse to be treated as cattle.
Those who get up out of their seat in the last hour and make there way to the bathroom only to be told by flight attendants that they must sit down. Refusing because of a natural need to relieve themself and being arrested. After this happens to grandma a few times with national press coverage we'll get more realistic about these infingments upon our civil liberties while traveling by commercial airline.
Personally I think that these new rules in the name of our safety are rediculous. If they want to do something to make us safer put our safety back in our own hands.
First pass a Federal firearm license resiprosity law then have a training class for civilians to be allowed to carry proper small handguns and ammo aboard commercial airlines. I'd be much more comfortable knowing that trained and tested civilians with correct ammo are ready to form a mini militia any time a terrorist stands up on a plane. Then all they need to do is keep explosives off the planes like they should be anyway.

RA I agree, but they shouldn't even be making it to the airport! We have the best covert people in the world! We need to have the right to take these guys out "Just in case" if they show they follow certain Dogma! We need intelligence not Law enforcement! Something we are lacking and seems "We the people" are being led like cattle! Well "Don't tread on Me"!

The rules are total BS!!!!!! They don't even have a connection to what happened!

I have a very straightforward response; if I am told I cannot use the head and need it, I will pee on the floor. I was in the service, I have no problem peeing in front of a bunch of people....

I am against all the political correctness that protect bad guys over the overwhelming evidence that it is only a very specific and narrow viewed group of people who we are looking for. Now they want to place poorly trained TSA employees in charge of sophisticated Xray equipment with it's own set of hazards. This last incident was a breakdown in intelligence and poor decision making not bad technology. Poor leaders make for bad decisions and we have poor leaders. No technology can correct that.

I hope one day a group of passengers catch one of these murderers and throw him out of the plane before it lands, now that's deterence. Maybe Allah can catch?

TSA had nothing to do with this guy getting into the system. He did that in Nigeria, a country with systemic coruption and graft. It is also reported today that they have the whole body scanners in Nigeria and didn't use them.

But, even with the scanners, how good are they if a few dollars paid gets you past security?

The system we have now is only as good as the weakest link, and there are a lot of weak links. So we will never have 100% safety. So, no we will never be 100% safe.

But, what we can have is 100% awarness, which is a lot more important.

I think it will come down to the first few people willing to refuse to be treated as cattle.
If they want to do something to make us safer put our safety back in our own hands.
First pass a Federal firearm license resiprosity law then have a training class for civilians to be allowed to carry proper small handguns and ammo aboard commercial airlines. I'd be much more comfortable knowing that trained and tested civilians with correct ammo are ready to form a mini militia any time a terrorist stands up on a plane.

Knee-jerk reactions are usually the result of emotionally-charged decision-making, not rational thinking.
Why create another problem trying to fix an existing one?

Issuing firearms may sound and feel as if it would make life more secure, but not at 35,000ft. Imagine what one stray shot through an aircraft window from a trigger-happy passenger would do. The sudden pressure change would lead to hypoxic conditions onboard, with everyone scrambling for their oxygen mask.

The alleged terrorist would be left alone to carry on.

No security there. Stun guns would be more appropriate.

The last hour of enforced seating means that the time available to any terrorist who may want to use the toilet for his/her misguided aims (no pun intended) is simple condensed into the balance of flight time before shutdown begins.
So the last hour will only mean that the detonated aircraft will not cause any collateral damage - meaning civilian lives lost - on the ground.
Therefore it logically follows the plane has a better chance of being blown up on the first, say, three hours of a four-hour flight. Somewhere over water.

I ask you, if my plane en route to NY next week is downed by some crazy guy over the Atlantic, will it mean that the current security measures will be deemed a success?

I have worked for over thirty years in security, and my opinion on this latest reaction is that of an ill-thought-out, politically-influenced action that does nothing to address the main problem - screening the passengers before they board, not after.

Short-term response to a long-term problem. No strategy.

Seadeuce

That is what you get when you put someone in charge who should be baking cookies instead. And as me gram Kennedy would say if she was Irish she'd be at the pub or crawling out of it.

So, first we couldn't take our nail clippers on board the airplane, and now we can.
Then we couldn't take liquids, and are now able to take 3 oz or less, provided they're in a %$# sandwich bag. Not just any bag. A sandwich bag? Apparently terrorists can't get their hands on actual sandwich bags.
So, we all end up packing most of our shampoo and stuff in our checked luggage along with that bottle of wine we bought and some fancy souvenir organic honey. In fact, it pretty much eliminated the ability of business travelers to fly with carry-on only luggage. Eventually we all got used to it.
Then, we had to take off our shoes because an insane person tried to blow up his feet. I hate taking off my shoes in public. I'm not used to it. I'm not Japanese.
Now after all those changes we are no longer able to carry anything on board larger than a pickle, and I'm not sure if it has to be in a sandwich bag or not. On top of that, now that we have to check all luggage, the airlines are now charging for every checked bag.
Now we can no longer get up to pee, poop or puke, or join the mile high club.
What's next? Flying with no luggage at all, in our undies, hands folded tightly in our laps, eyes forward and no talking?
So F you, you overreacting incompetent douchebags at the TSA. If I have to pee, poop, vomit or have mile high sex, I'm going to do it, and I'll let my attorney sort out the aftermath.

So are all the little shops that sell booze and last minute gifts before you board the plane all closing as we cant carry that stuff on anymore?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom