Technique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The big difference between the Essentials and Intro to Tech DVDs is that the Essentials one was the first one they did. Therefore, it doesn't have a musical background, and it doesn't have the same grease pencil/voiceover format. However, there are things on the Essentials DVD that are not on the Intro to Tech, that are good for more novice divers.

I believe it's possible that new DVDs will be forthcoming from UTD shortly -- they spent a bunch of time reshooting things at the instructor symposium on Catalina this fall.

I believe it's possible that new DVDs will be forthcoming from UTD shortly -- they spent a bunch of time reshooting things at the instructor symposium on Catalina this fall.

I'll keep an eye out so.

One other thing they could do is improve their payment/ordering process. I ordered the Intro to Tech and only received an email 3 weeks later that my payment had been declined for some unspecified reason. Off topic, apologies, but it was pretty frustrating at the time.

J

The big difference between the Essentials and Intro to Tech DVDs is that the Essentials one was the first one they did. Therefore, it doesn't have a musical background, and it doesn't have the same grease pencil/voiceover format. However, there are things on the Essentials DVD that are not on the Intro to Tech, that are good for more novice divers.

Agreed.

Intro-to-Tech's production value is better and has the grease pencil that is effective in highlighting areas to focus on (think football telecast and on-screen drawings).

However, for recreational divers, I still recommend the Essentials DVD. There are three reasons for this:
1) Focus on the bigger issues
2) Shows the "bad" examples - for example, bad trim.
3) Divers in single tanks

One other thing they could do is improve their payment/ordering process. I ordered the Intro to Tech and only received an email 3 weeks later that my payment had been declined for some unspecified reason. Off topic, apologies, but it was pretty frustrating at the time.

Ugh! PayPal...

I'll PM you and see if you've talked to Jeff. He wants to resolve all these issues, and insure that others aren't going through the same problems.

Please, please let me know if you have any problems ordering or processing orders for the DVD's or any of the UTD classes or products. We work tirelessly to keep on top of all of it.

Jeff
jeff@unifiedteamdiving.com

I am really enjoying the dialog contributed thus far. The varying points of view certainly reinforce the concept that people learn differently. Some require pictures, others written material, others demonstration, etc. However, each person will ultimately find their own path. But most of all, as I suspected, the conveyance of technique is just starting to get serious attention in the community. Once again, thanks for all of your input!

One unifying point, I'd wager, is that it really helps to at least *raise* technique as an entity.

I'm still pretty crap but most of what I've learned I've learned from actively asking questions. No instructor I've come across so far has volunteered information in regard to technique. I think that's criminal. If I was a teacher (and I'm not) I would want to impart as much knowledge and wisdom as possible. I have categorically not seen this in the *industry*. Bad gig.

J

Technique should be an essential component to all underwater education. Everything we instinctually know as humans about movement becomes inefficient at best, when we enter the water. Reexamining your actions and refining your technique will become a new base for your development underwater, regardless of when you decide to pursue it.

Most divers are never taught anything about how to swim, other than, wiggle your feet until you get to the other side of the pool. Balance, buoyancy and trim are traits that most new divers think only years of experience will bring them. Learning to compartmentalize the body and isolate muscle groups is a technical undertaking that most divers don’t want to invest the time to learn, especially with the equipment choices available to them today.

The UTD Essentials is designed to give the forward-thinking diver the tools that they are lacking. These are tools that we find essential to all divers and present to them in our beginner, basic OW course, Recreational 1. We build upon these in later classes, nothing is hidden and nothing is wasteful in our educational model. What you learn in the beginning should be consistent with what you will build upon later in your diving education and experience.

It would seem to me that most of the entry level courses focus on not getting killed, while diving. Once the basic skills have been learned to a sufficient level, it is a great idea to work on trim, finning, etc. That being said, it should be merely an objective to be faced at a future date for a diver just learning how to stay out of the mud. There is only so much that can be learned online. A diver needs to put in the bottom time. If they are lucky, they will have mentor(s), who will help them along the way.

Best way to find good buddies is to get out and dive.. a lot. There are a lot of very experienced divers out there who are more than happy to help someone who is trying to improve their skills.

Back
Top Bottom