Traveling with an infant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OSUcowboyinSPFD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok folks, I need some honest advice. We are expecting our first child in May. We are becoming religious Cozumel addicts (5 trips in four years). We are coming about every 10 months, although we would like to come down every six months. We stay at Cozumel Palace, although we are looking at starting to stay at El Cantil. We are starting our registry and we need some advice on what we should have to travel with an infant. For example, we registered for a Combi stroller that can break down really easily to travel with, but I am looking for some advice on stuff that we should have to travel with.

Please note, we are looking at a first trip with the infant in about December, 2010 or January, 2011. The kiddo will be 7-8 months at that time.

My wife does not dive, yet. We would also like some opinions on where to find a good care provider in Cozumel. We are new parents, so please give us lots of advice.

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:
We started traveling internationally with our son when he was about 6 months old. It's not that difficult.

Remember you can buy just about anything you need but don't have with you on the island (butt wipes, etc.) We used to travel with the folding stroller and a diaper bag with a couple of days' supply of diapers, food/formula, etc. However, this was prior to the current security theater, so it might be considerably more challenging now.

Me, myself personally, if I were me, I wouldn't leave my kid with anyone I didn't know personally. We quit diving until he was old enough to start diving with us.

a gogo kidz travelmate - it turns your carseat into a strollerette and you can keep it attached in an airplane seat. my son (really really premature) was still in his infant seat at a year, but most babies outgrow them by 6-8 months so the 'travel system' might not be as attractive since those strollers tend to be really bulky. when we flew this summer, we used the travelmate until we got to our destination then bought a cheapie umbrella stroller that we left at goodwill when we came home.

an ergo or similar carrier.

a peapod travel bed - good to get the baby used to it early, since my 3 year old is wary of his. sigh. *much* lighter and more packable than a pack & play. we also used the suitcases on the bed to block out a space for him to sleep and not fall off, but again, he's older.

be careful of the restrictions on fluids - keep up to date with what you can take to feed the baby, whether or not you're nursing. you might have to pre-load bottles with powder & fill them with water after you go through security, and i've heard stories about not being able to carry on pumped breastmilk though i bet if your wife just whipped out a boob they'd die & let you take it on.

good question, and i hope you get some good ideas!

I don't mean to be rude but when I am on vacation I always wonder why people take infants to places like that. The kid isn't going to remember any of it so what is the point? Why not let grandma & grandpa or another trusted relative babysit for a week if they are available? Then mom & dad can truly have a vacation to themselves.

I don't mean to be rude but when I am on vacation I always wonder why people take infants to places like that. The kid isn't going to remember any of it so what is the point? Why not let grandma & grandpa or another trusted relative babysit for a week if they are available? Then mom & dad can truly have a vacation to themselves.

I think that is a fair observation. However, I try about 6-10 jury trials per year. I work alot of hours. I intend to take my kid with me during my time off because there will be stretches where I may not be home for one to two weeks at a time. My parents always took us kids on vacation (there was 6 of us). Granted, we didn't get to go to Cozumel, but we still went as a family.

My life includes my son. This is especially true after our daughter died of cancer. We'd taken her on two different one-week vacations before she was a year old. She spent her first and only birthday having brain surgery and died at 16 months. Those two weeks represented about 3% of her entire life that I would have sorely regretted missing. We never know what the future holds, but I don't assume I've got limitless time to spend with my kids.

I don't take vacations to get away from my kid - I take them in order to spend more time with him doing something fun. When he was very young, taking him was definitely less for his benefit than that of my wife and me. However, it also taught him "travel manners" from a very young age.

When we started traveling with our son, we lived in Galveston, TX and the nearest set of grandparents lived outside of Washington, DC. Not everyone lives near relatives.

I'm sorry you don't like spending time with your own kids.

I think that is a fair observation. However, I try about 6-10 jury trials per year. I work alot of hours. I intend to take my kid with me during my time off because there will be stretches where I may not be Mhome for one to two weeks at a time. My parents always took us kids on vacation (there was 6 of us). Granted, we didn't get to go to Cozumel, but we still went as a family.

BINGO!
Our girls are grown now, the trips in our RV when they were that age pays off big!
The fam. can be together, see a lot of country side.....and when they come down with a fever, and they will, the doctor you have to find in the next town speaks English!

Oh.... we're all on our second passport now!

Why do you assume that I don't like spending time with my kids?

Because "when [you're] on vacation [you] always wonder why people take infants to places like that" and you seem to think you can't "truly have a vacation" with the baby along.

Mstevens, When you said:

"Me, myself personally, if I were me, I wouldn't leave my kid with anyone I didn't know personally. We quit diving until he was old enough to start diving with us."

"When we started traveling with our son, we lived in Galveston, TX and the nearest set of grandparents lived outside of Washington, DC. Not everyone lives near relatives."

Should I have assumed that your parents or in-laws could not be trusted, didn't live close by, or that you do not know them personally?

Carefully reach around to your backside and give your wadded up panties a tug!:wink:

As I plainly stated I was talking about infants that won't remember anything from the trip. A few days break can give mom & dad an opportunity to have a bit of alone time with each other that they don't get at home. It in no way means that they don't like or love their kids.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom