Sport Chalet charging for tumbles that weren't needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eth727

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have taken my tanks to sport chalet for hydros on 2 occasions. Each time I was charged for a tumble. The first tank was empty. I looked inside and it was clean. The
2nd tank had air when I dropped it off. These were steel 120 HP tanks.
I believe SC is doing tumbles even if they aren't needed. Maybe they want the extra $$??

I have taken my tanks to sport chalet for hydros on 2 occasions. Each time I was charged for a tumble. The first tank was empty. I looked inside and it was clean. The
2nd tank had air when I dropped it off. These were steel 120 HP tanks.
I believe SC is doing tumbles even if they aren't needed. Maybe they want the extra $$??

Do they send tanks to an outside facility for hydro or do it themselves? Is it possible they are flash rusted after/as a result of the hydro test and thus need the tumble? Something to consider, though even if this is the case you may still have a valid question of why you should be charged if your tanks were rust-free going in.

When you asked them why they tumbled your cylinders, what did they say?

Steel cylinders typically will flash rust after being drained from the hydro test. A little flash rust isn't going to hurt you - or your cylinder - but it gives some people the willies. Perhaps more importantly, if you're using the cylinders for partial pressure blending they should be oxygen serviced after the hydro, a light tumble is a good way to quickly scrub a cylinder clean.

yeah the SC here in San Diego: Midway location, sends them out. The 1st tank I peered into the day before I sent it in. No rust. I couldn't see inside the 2nd one I sent since it still had air. I doubt it had rust inside since it still had air.
Just from those two times I believe that SC will tumble the next tank regardless if it needs it. Who can verify it? Not the customer.

I, too, ran into the same problem with a steel tank when I first started diving. They also tumbled one of two aluminum tanks that I sent in years ago. Both of the tanks led the same life, purchased at their store, always filled by them, etc.

Sport Chalet doesn't do nitrox, either PP or Continuous, and asking them for oxygen cleaning is like talking to a wall, so it's not related to oxygen cleaning.

SC is the reason that I bought my own compressor setup. Now I just use the local fire extinguisher place when I need hydros.

I was told that all of the Sport Chalet tanks are sent to their facility for hydro inspections. Dunno if it's true or not.

So maybe a sting operation is in order.
Open up the tanks and get photos of the insides before reinstalling the valves and filling with 300-500 psi via personal scuba compressor or tank-to-tank whip before taking them to Sport Chalet. Then if they hit you up for a tumble, hit them up with a tumble of your own by presenting them with the evidence. Just be sure the tanks are somehow identifiable in the photo series you take.

Sounds to me like they may be using the tumble to make some extra money. But since there are not really any hard-and-fast official rules as to when a tumble is required, you don't really have solid grounds to complain, unless you can prove it was absolutely unecessary, or that they didn't actual tumble them at all. Or that you told them very positively that you don't want the tanks tumbled without being shown first why they feel it necessary first.

Did you sign an authorization slip when you dropped the tanks off? If so, did you read it? You may have given them blanket authorization to do anything they felt like!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom