Christmas Tree Reef 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt. Pete

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Inland Water Divers LLC is proud to announce in partnership with the Lake Pleasant Regional Park the continuation of the Christmas tree reef project. The experiment begun last year has proven to be a huge success for the local dive community as well as the local fish population. Please hold on to your Christmas tree and donate it for a good cause. For that matter grab your neighbors, after they are done with it of course. Plans are continuing at this moment however it looks like the best day for the sink will be on Saturday January 16th. As further details arise participants will be notified.

Divers interested in participating in this worthwhile environmental project MUST pre-register with Inland Water Divers LLC prior to the date of the event.

Join us celebrating the 40th anniversary of Earth Day with a year's worth of environmental projects. Have some diving fun while helping to improve our world. We hope to see everyone there!

As usual please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

###

Hey!

Last year's event was so cool! I'll be out of town on the 16th. Let me know if the date changes. I would like to participate again this year.

Steve.

Steve,

Unless weather becomes an issue, the 16th looks like the best date so far. Sorry you can't make it, we enjoyed your participation last year. So far this year's event looks to have a lot more divers participating. If anything changes i will keep you in mind.

Pete

Looks like everything is good to go on the 16th. Long range weather forecast calls for slightly cooler temps but it should be sunny! As it stands today we have about 25 divers registered for the event. Registered divers will be notified if plans change and I will also make an attempt to update the forums. If anyone else is looking for something fun to do next Saturday gives us a call and join us!

Update Christmas Tree Reef Project 2010

I just wanted to let everyone know about the progress on the Lake Pleasant reef project, Christmas Tree Reef. I want to first recognize Michelle and Pam for cooking more food than all of us could eat. If you didn't know, Michelle and Pam as well as their husband's donated the majority of the food that was served at the event. I also want to thank Rob and his shop for donating all of the stands that were used to secure the trees to the bottom. Lastly the project would not have gone off as well if Dan, Glenn, Rob and Doug of the Diver Down II did not donate the use of their boats for the project.

Those of us that were at the lake prior to sunrise were treated to a sunrise that was as good as any tropical sunrise I have ever seen! Other than a morning breeze and a few clouds the day was just about perfect for the project. We had over 30 divers participating in the event and we sunk about 18 trees to add to last year's reef. I think everyone learned that diving for fun and working on a project are two totally different things. I hope everyone learned something and I am sure that everyone had a great time. The trees were sunk in 50' + of water with great visibility, until we kicked up the bottom placing the trees. I am excited to see how many fish will call those trees home in the near future!

I am hopeful that the diving scene at Lake Pleasant will be improving in the near future for everyone's benefit. Lake Pleasant truly is the premier dive venue in central Arizona. It was also nice to see Amy from The Dive Shop bring some of her diver's along this year, I hope that more cooperative projects will be tackled by forward thinking Valley dive operators!

Thank you to everyone that helped out, you all did a great job. I hope to see all of you on any future projects!

Pete

We didn't get to make it last weekend but am looking forward to checking out everyone's handywork. Hopefully we can make it next year.

Steve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom