Breaking news from the whale wars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These encounters at sea are ***-for-tat. No one from both sides really wants to see anyone hurt severely. However, I sure both sides would concede it's an eventuality.

If you've not spent time on large boat - they can't turn on a dime and you don't want to be turning your screws - especially if someone is overboard and their whereabouts are unknown. Too easy to grind someone up. Also, launching an inflatable RIB in rough waters is no easy task and takes a bit of time.

The Japanese whaling ship rammed and eventually sank the Ady Gil in open ocean but the Japanese did not stop to assist the survivors of the sinking vessel.

Apparently the moderators of this forum believe that such information is too inflammatory to be printed here on Scubaboard and are editing posts that make the Japanese look bad.

I will not stand for censorship and repeat what I said. The Japanese have a long history of failing to assist survivors of ships that the Japanese have sank. There is nothing "off track" about this fact.

The mods know what will happen if you start adding racist comments like that. Someone will mention Viet Nam, then Guantanamo and finally Israel and the thread will be shut down and we wont be able to see the cool footage of the Ady Gil being sunk :D

The mods are too intelligent to let that happen. They have seen it happen way too often.

The frog
(before you mention it)

From past actions, it seems like the SS got exactly what should happen when deliberately causing an action like this. I mean, run the gates of a train crossing in your car, and you could get this sort of outcome, too, or worse.

First of all, I've never stated that the SS crew has done nothing wrong over the years. My comments were solely focused on the video evidence produced to-date surrounding the moments immediately before the collision that resulted in the sinking of the SS vessel.

I don't claim to be an expert in seamanship, however I have some knowledge and training with the Navy (navigation/watch officer course on a 5100 ton Destroyer). I know enough to realize that regardless of the position of the SS vessel, regardless of if they willingly placed their vessel in-front of another, the law doesn't allow another vessel to alter course and ram it! If this is what happened, end of discussion, the Whaler Captain will be screwed.

That's what I see in the video; but I can't say that this conclusion is beyond question. I don't possess all the information, nor am I an expert. Saying that SS deserved it based on their actions in different locations, with different Captains, at different times isn't even circumstantial evidence. It's total speculation and prejudicial.

Any reviewing body will use expert examiners who will go over all the information in excruciating detail. We will eventually understand what really happened and we can compare our "SB expert opinions" with this when such information is released. :)

Last edited:
From all the videos I've seen here it sure looks as if the Andy Gil was either idling or motoring slowly until right at the end when they hit the throttle and collided with the whaler. Blaring warning signal and water canons clearly alert the Andy Gil to potential collision but they take no evasive action whatsoever. Why not? Could it be because they regularly play chicken with the whalers? Looks like they were just playing another round and they lost this one. I'm no expert either but that's what my eyes tell me.

From all the videos I've seen here it sure looks as if the Andy Gil was either idling or motoring slowly until right at the end when they hit the throttle and collided with the whaler. Blaring warning signal and water canons clearly alert the Andy Gil to potential collision but they take no evasive action whatsoever. Why not? Could it be because they regularly play chicken with the whalers? Looks like they were just playing another round and they lost this one. I'm no expert either but that's what my eyes tell me.

Stick around here long enough and you will know that surely your eyes must be lying then. What is ACTUALLY happening is a lie and what is not happening is what others want us to believe. Makes sense to me :shakehead:

Stick around here long enough and you will know that surely your eyes must be lying then. What is ACTUALLY happening is a lie and what is not happening is what others want us to believe. Makes sense to me :shakehead:

Beer goggles make the whole situation much clearer. Unfortunately, it's a bit like narcosis, and I forgot the great revelation. :D

Beer goggles make the whole situation much clearer. Unfortunately, it's a bit like narcosis, and I forgot the great revelation. :D

That explains it. Forgot my goggles. Duh!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This is a very sensitive subject -- perhaps moreso to scuba divers than the average person -- and this thread is NOT in the pub.

Please refer to the TOS and handle each other with respect. Opinions about events = ok. disagree as much as you want but personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Carry on (respectfully).

What I have learned is that one person from Norway and one from Japan support the whalers right to hunt whales most everyone else does not. Half of the respondents think that SS is justified to do anything to stop whaling and the other half consider it piracy. About half of the folks think SS is at fault for the collision, about half thing the whaler was.

And at least one guy thinks that global warming is a hoax.

I Like It!
To summarize my opinions on the matter for clearer viewing;
1. I have no problem with substainable hunting of any species as long as they are used. (Except humans. Unlike some others I dont consider humans and other mammals to be "the same").
2. I do consider the sea sheperd conservation society a pirate/terrorist organization as they have infact boarded and attempted to sink ships in the past and equipped vessels with barbs to cut open other ships amongst other things.
3. I do have a problem with lieing about why you choose to comitt an act. I.E. hunting..

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom