Pony Bottle / Spare Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris12day

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am a recreational diver who stays within my AOW limits. I am also Nitrox cert. I normally make about 30 dives a year.....of course I would like to increase that number. Most of my dives are on boat trips including multiple dives on multiple days.

I have done a few shore dives in kelp beds with limited visibility. I am hoping to do more.

What are the pros and cons of carrying a pony bottle or spare air?

Thanks!

Forget the Spare Air. They are toys. Pony bottle: Shallow dive 13cf, deep dive 19cf or more.

The spare air MIGHT get you to the surface if you have no problems other than a failure of your regs..They only have a few breaths in them and if you are excited,winded,entangled or anything like that your are out of luck! Get you a pony if you want a back up! Be safe!

Plus 1 for at least a 19 CF pony........

Now with more experience I would consider going with a 30 CF - way more air, but easy to handle above and below water........

Be sure you maintain it and practice using it a lot........

Now I sling mine, but started with it back mounted.......

I would also recommend a regulator that is and feels completely different that your primary so you know for sure which one you are breathing from no matter what.......

I dive with the tank valve open, others prefer it shut until they need it.....

Hope this helps.......M

You should make your desecion on spare air or pony bottle size depending on your diving.

For starters; Anyone who says you can only get one or two breaths from a spare air has never used one, they are good for an assecnt from 12m to the surface with a safty stop at 5m and have air still in them at the surface, I know I've tried this .

A pony bottle will do the exact same thing but from deeper depths.

So if you are only diving shallow, around the 12m mark most of the time a spare air is fine.

As you go deeper look at a pony bottle around the 6cf to 13cf size is good, you only need the bigger ones if you are pushing the no-deco limits or such like.

Pros of spare air:- small, no hoses to become entangled, easy to pass to a buddy if needed, cheap
Cons of spare air:- smaller air volume

Pros of pony bottle:- any size tank you like
Cons of pony bottle:- Extra 1st and 2nd stage regs to be serviced, more things to get tangled, much more expensive

Overall take a Solo diver course from your local dive shop and they will help you pick the gear best suited for your type of diving.

I'm not a big fan of the Spare Air, but they do have their place.

My buddy has a SA and we wanted to see how well it actually worked.

At the end of a dive, he switched to his SA around 60fsw. We then made a controlled ascent around 30-45fpm. We did not do a SS. It was out of air within a couple of breaths of surfacing. It worked. I would call it better than nothing.

I prefer the pony. I carried a slung AL40 for a while. I went with a pony that was 1/3 my back gas. I was diving HP130's.

I've recently made the switch to doubles, so my 'pony' is all set up for a deco bottle.

If you get an AL30 or AL40 these can get recycled if you move up the food chain into the tec realm.

I prefer the slung method over a back mounted method. If it is slung, I can actually pass it off UW to someone else if need be.

One negative of the pony is going to be the fact that you will need another 1st, 2nd and SPG.

I use two pony systems - pony attached to main tank and pony on a sling. If on the sling, I can easily reach down and turn on. If it's on my main tank, I can reach down and turn it on, but with some difficulty. Difficulty is not what I want in a emergency/out of air situation - so I leave the air on.

I have two sizes of pony - 13 & 19 cu feet. For dives 50 ft and less I use the 13 cu ft, for deeper dives I use 19 cu feet. Lately, I've just been using my 19 cf exclusively - deep and shallow dives. My tank attachment is configured with a tank strap that easily slides onto (and tightens with an regular tank fastener) my main tank and therefore can be readily exchanged between tanks. Obviously a sling can be slung and re-slung - however, I don't use the sling so often as I do a lot of hunting/crabbing and it gets in the way - especially when I crab a delicious dungeness crab from the Pacific Northwest ocean floor.

Someday, you may go doubles. But doubles are more expensive and you have to have more equipment configurations and you will find that most dives can be accomplished with a single al 80, or get steel 100s or even 120s. You can sling an extra 80 if needed. Go doubles if you find yourself really needing them regularly.

Don't do Spare Air. Spare Air is not a redundant air supply. Hopefully, it would get you to the top, but likely you'd just run out of air twice. Like Paddler3D's above post - if you use it in a controlled-non panic situation, it is barely enough. However, in a real situation where you're breathing heavily - it's not enough.

By the way, the Buddy System is the best redundant air supply, and is my first choice. But I've found buddies to be unavailable, lost, or unreliable.

I'm not a big fan of the Spare Air, but they do have their place.

Yup - Spare Air is the only piece of scuba gear that will allow you to run out of air TWICE on the same dive.

:shocked2:

Hey Chris12day,

A 19 cu ft pony will allow you to ascend reasonably from recreatioanl depths. I'm surprised no one has done the calculations for you, again. It's simple and unobstusive to sling and can be passed off as needed. The 3 cu ft Spare Air will give you several breaths, that's better than nothing on your emergency ascent.

Good diving, Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom