Spearfishing with a pneumatic speargun effectively & ALWAYS time your snorkel blast..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thats a nice video, thanks for the link.

You cannot compare Mifsud, who is a freak of nature, to regular freedive spearo. Most amateurs can hold their breath for 1 min or so. Mifsud can hold his breath while working for 5-6 min. He does it because he has so much oxygen reserve and lowered heart rate that it doesnt matter on a shallow exploratory dive to -36M. If regular Joe tries that same dive, and happens to pass out, water would funnel into his lungs via snorkel and sink him like a rock, never to be recovered alive. I have saved SWB victim myself, and can tell you first hand that much safer practice is to get rid of the snorkel for the duration of the dive. Freedivers should make a habit to do that. Keeping the snorkel in is also associated with clenched jaw, and tense face muscles, which contribute to overall discomfort during the dive and make it less enjoyable.

Another tip is to mount snorkel keeper onto back middle of your mask strap, so that once final breath is taken, and snorkel is spit out during "duck dive", it swings out of the way and dangles behind the head for the duration of the dive. This way it enhances the field of vision and doesnt create uneven drag (unlike when its mounted on either side of the mask).

Most other Youtube videos show spearos spitting the snorkel out.

There is definitely hunting conditions that give advantage to small guns. I dive in FL where vis is stellar most of the time, so my shortest gun is 120cm.... with several 140cm and even a 160cm carbon :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom