Sherwood Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Go with a Blizzard or a Maximus,with a standard octo. I have both and never have problems. Even had both under the ice.

i also have no complaints with the performance my deepest dive has been 45.8 mt, perfect performance, realy like , like u no jaw fatique, just i dont trust it like i should after my problems, as i say i am still undecided and considering replaceing it

ron, i di my deep diver course, and my instructor purged his Reg whislt turning the tank on every time, when i asked why he say that it take that initla high presure hit off the piston, makes sense to me, maby this will help

thanks

mark

whats the deepest u have used ur reg to

I have taken my SR1 to 180' (55m), and even allowing for narcosis, the breathing resistance is absolutely non-existent. I really believe them when they say it has the lowest WOB of any market regulator in the world.

When I did "pop" mine, it was on the surface and I still went ahead and did the dive. The reg performed fine - the environmental seal had gone, so you need to take it in for a service, but it still performs.

Absolutely not. The Blizzard uses the same first stage as the Oasis (also Magnum and Maximus). The second stage is the same as the Oasis, except a bit of teflon coating on some parts.

Doesn't the Blizzard also have the heat sink in it that the Oasis doesn't?

Every thread on Sherwood I've read has mixed reviews. Worse, I recall a discussion of the popping problem and the Sherwood rep appeared unhelpful and uncaring. With so much competition out there why look for trouble?

Adam

Doesn't the Blizzard also have the heat sink in it that the Oasis doesn't?

What heat sink are you referring to? If you are thinking of the so called "heat transfer fins" in the second stage, they are present in both.

Last edited:
Every thread on Sherwood I've read has mixed reviews. Worse, I recall a discussion of the popping problem and the Sherwood rep appeared unhelpful and uncaring. With so much competition out there why look for trouble?

Adam

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/sherwood-scuba/234463-sr1-blowing-up-problem.html

I have read the entire thread because I own an SR 1. I dont find anything that appears to make the Sherwood rep unhelpful or uncaring. He answered each question as it came up and dispelled some incorrect information but certainly seemed professional and helpful to me.

I have taken my SR1 to 180' (55m), and even allowing for narcosis, the breathing resistance is absolutely non-existent. I really believe them when they say it has the lowest WOB of any market regulator in the world.

There are plenty of regs that deliver far more gas than any diver could ever possibly breathe at depths far exceeding recreational, and even common technical O.C. limits. WOB numbers on any one of a number of high end regs are so low that comparison is just not that useful.

I find the quality control problems with the SR1 ample reason to avoid them, as there are many other excellent choices. By far the most important quality in any regulator is reliability, and practically all regs are very reliable these days. Why choose one with known problems?

Regarding inhalation resistance, all regs are limited in cracking effort by case fault geometry, in which pressure differential between the diaphragm and the exhaust valve will cause freeflow if the reg is adjusted to crack too lightly. Poseidons skirt this problem by using a side exhaust valve, and the SP D series (D300/350/400) do so by using a coaxial diaphragm/exhaust valve. which almost eliminates pressure differences between diaphragm and exhaust valve.

Most high flow regs make up for limitations in cracking pressure by increasing venturi assist, to the point at which there can be positive pressure during inhalation; that's sort of a controlled freeflow. I personally don't like that feeling of air being pushed down my throat. This is the beauty of the D series. They can be stable at about .5" water (not all of mine can, I suspect it has to do with tiny imperfections in the orifice and occasional seat issues) and have a pretty subtle venturi effect. This makes them super natural breathing in lots of positions.

I have to say I'm disappointed that SP has not reissued the D series like they did the G250 and (sort of) Balanced/Adjustable. I have a feeling that's for two reasons; one is that the regs are different to work on, and many LDS techs are challenged enough as it is. The other relates to what I wrote earlier, there are many excellent choices now and WOB numbers are already far lower than is necessary, or even noticeable for essentially all current scuba situations.

I just like them because I'm a geek and the refinement of the mechanical design appeals to that side of me. (They go forever between rebuild, too) There are lots of dives where I'll switch to my unbalanced (gawk!) 109 alternate, even though the WOB is noticeably higher. I do this when my mouth is dry, because the nice thing about the metal case 2nd is the lack of drymouth.

Thanks to eveyrone for the responses!
I will avoid the SR1 it obviosly is not what I'm looking for (Bulletproof simple design).

I'm leaning towards the OASIS as I've experienced dry mouth on many occasions and reviews seem to indicate this regulator will help that.

Since my goal was to find some inexpensive units I will have to try and find some older models or slightly used ones.

Back
Top Bottom