Hoping for some insight :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AmandaNurse

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone!
This is my very first post on scubaboard, and I was hoping for a bit of advice. My husband and I are brand new to the world of diving, and absolutely love it. He became certified last May, and I became certified in October 2009. We are planning a trip to Honduras this year, and I would like to know which island should we visit? Utila or Roatan? We are pretty low key people, and enjoy the smaller more intimate places to stay. Both islands look like they would be excellent, I am just having a tough time deciding between the two. We are all about local flavor. We will only have one week to travel, and would like to go either in May, or July. Thanks very much for anyone that may be able to help. Looking forward to connecting with everyone!
Amanda

Hello Amanda and welcome to Scubaboard :) My fiancee and I just completed a live aboard to Utila/Roatan Oct 17-24 and had a wonderful time!! We used the Aggressor Fleet. The timing of the trip was not great since the weather seems to be bad in the Caribbean between Sept and Dec. We were in a good bit of current on a few occasions which made for a challenging set of dives. The sites themselves were fantastic. You will love them. I have not stayed on land on either island but if you want to see lots of dive sites in that region, a live aboard is not a bad way to the sites on both island.

Hope this helps.

Welcome to :sblogo:

It is always great to see new divers and of course new friends to the board! You will find that Scubaboard is a great resource for alot of information. I would recommend you use the travel sections of the board to talk to the locals in the part of the world you want to dive. Besides your fellow divers, they are a great resouce to direct you to the best and safest operations. I have provided you a link to that area in our travel section.
Central America - ScubaBoard

If you ever need any help navigating on the board, or have any questions, please feel free to PM me or any member you see in green. Again, welcome to the underwater world! I wish you awesome dives and great adventures!

Carolyn:shark2:

Hi AmandaNurse! Welcome to ScubaBoard!!!! Have you thought about Bonaire? Great and easy diving. The entire island is about local flavor. I have not been to Honduras but as said above....go to the local section and you will find trip reports and pictures from other divers! Safe diving!

Greetings AmandaNurse and welcome to Scuba Board it is great to have aboard!
LIVES4SHARKS has pegged it on the nose if you follow that link you will be able to post a thread for search for the information you require. I have used the search and travel forum and it is awesome. I hope you find all the help that I did.
Bonaire is a very awesome site and as mentioned so very laid back and the shore diving a huge plus. Not trying to sway you just give you another option. My wife and I are planning a trip to Bonaire in the near future for a photography coarse.
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

Welcome Amanda,
Unless you enjoy being rather intimate with 18 other people, a live aboard is not the way to go--especially in the Bay Islands, since shore based diving there is very good. Both Roatan and Utila have diving that would be great for beginners. The diving is similar, except for a greater chance of seeing a Whale Shark (usually in spring) at Utila. Personally, I prefer the south side of Roatan, but I am sure you will get many other opinions.

Hi everyone!
This is my very first post on scubaboard, and I was hoping for a bit of advice. My husband and I are brand new to the world of diving, and absolutely love it. He became certified last May, and I became certified in October 2009. We are planning a trip to Honduras this year, and I would like to know which island should we visit? Utila or Roatan? We are pretty low key people, and enjoy the smaller more intimate places to stay. Both islands look like they would be excellent, I am just having a tough time deciding between the two. We are all about local flavor. We will only have one week to travel, and would like to go either in May, or July. Thanks very much for anyone that may be able to help. Looking forward to connecting with everyone!
Amanda

Hi and welcome to SB!

A few questions --
how many dives do you want to do per day?
what kind of budget?

CoCoView Resort on Roatan is small, only 26 rooms, a very intimate place with excellent diving. It isn't for everyone though. It is more rustic, not a luxury resort, but that is why we like it. The dive op is the best and so is the diving. :D
CCV_grounds236.jpg

When we were there we met 2 different couples who were on their first dive trip. Both had a great time and loved the fact that they could do the dives at whatever depth they chose without feeling pressure to go deeper and also that there was very little current. Both couples got in over 20 dives in the week, too. It was easy diving and both said they could tell their diving skills improved over the week. That is another reason we love Roatan, it has great diving for Beginners - Advanced, all on the same dives in most cases. :D

All my photos: CoCoView Resort Photos & Videos

robin:D

Hi Amanda,

My wife and I live on Utila and have spent considerable time on Roatan as we have our bests friends who have a home there.

Your description of what you are looking for describes Utila, NOT Roatan.

Roatan is a large island 25-30 miles long with one two lane road from one end to the other.

Utila is 7 miles long with only a small part of the island accessible by road. It is friendly, inexpensive and has the "local flavor" you are seeking.

If you have additional questions please don't hesitate.

Your description of what you are looking for describes Utila, NOT Roatan.

What part of the description does not describe Roatan? Are you suggesting there are no smaller more intimate places to stay or no places offering a taste of local flavour? Sure Utila may fit the bill as well but it is not like Roatan is some totally overdeveloped metropolis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom