Is there a theft risk at Buddy Dive???

Have you yourself been a victim of theft on Bonaire?

• Never in 1 - 3 visits

Votes: 59 46.8%
  • Never in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 21 16.7%
  • Never in 7 - 10 visits

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Never in more than 10 visits

Votes: 14 11.1%
  • Yes. once in one visit

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Yes. once in 2 - 3 visits

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Yes. once in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. once in 7-10 visits

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Yes. once in more than 10 visits

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Yes. more than once on a single visit

• Yes. more than once on 2 - 10 visits

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Yes. more than once in over 10 visits

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pilot Fish..why don't you let us know what your REAL agenda is..

Do you think the petty incidences on Bonaire compare anything to the crime stats in your town of Charlotte? Take a look at the below.

Charlotte Crime Map - Showing Crime in Charlotte, NC - Crime Statistics - Crime Alerts - Crime Stops Here

Oh FYI..the latest population figures I have on Charlotte is 1834 (2006)..Bonaire has almost 8 X's that amount..Any "crime" on Bonaire is a mere drop in the bucket from what you have in your own home town. One would think Bonaire would be a virtual paradise for you, yet for some reason you continually knock it by your postings. So again I'll ask...
What's your REAL agenda?

Folks, for whatever reason PF has some big problem with Bonaire and has had it ever since he joined the board. He likes to trash the police on the island and rants about the huge amount of crime on the island but fact is he has been there once, barely left the resort and had no issues- something he posted way back and please correct me if that is incorrect. Everything he post is second or third hand, old news or unsubstainted personal opinion. He has no first hand knowledge or personal experience, unlike a good many of us.
PF, sure some people have problems and no one has ever denied that but to hear you tell it, the vast majority have problems on island. That is simply not true. How about the thousands who come to the island and do not have problems? They do exist, you choose to ignore them. Your "proof" is at best skewed. You fail to take into account that happy people do not go from board to board posting how much fun they had year after year or to put it in a more comparable way, they do not go from post to post telling how much fun and what a great experience they heard someone else had.

I too would like to know why PF is so obsessed with Bonaire security! It almost look like a personal vendetta. You cannot mention Bonaire on this forum without having PF getting vindicative and spoiling the exchange of ideas!
PF you made your point. Thank you. Now let us talk about the DIVING in Bonaire!

We love Bonaire and Buddy Dive. We'll go back, and we never saw or heard of any theft problems.

Fair enough question, malene. The answer is, for every 10 posters like you and What me Worry, herman, that don't inform divers on issues there, there has to be 1 poster like me that will give a realitic view of Bonaire. An informed diver is a safe diver. If all divers know of Bonaire is what they read in the travel brochures, ads for car rentals and What me Worry herman has to say about Bonaire, they won't have balanced info before they head that way.

I too would like to know why PF is so obsessed with Bonaire security! It almost look like a personal vendetta. You cannot mention Bonaire on this forum without having PF getting vindicative and spoiling the exchange of ideas!
PF you made your point. Thank you. Now let us talk about the DIVING in Bonaire!

Ok - Here a a few ideas for those who would like to consider in order to help protect their property from theft:

1. As we all know, anytime we leave something behind, it COULD be exposed to theft - be it from employees, fellow travelers, or locals who are aware of the locations where we are vulnerable. Solution: Try not to leave expensive items behind that could be stolen - If they are, you wont be as devastated. If you need to leave item(s) behind, consider a few travel security items that may offer additional protection for your left behind valuables. Again, nothing is ever 100% full-proof. With enough time, and the right tools, any security feature can be defeated. Here are a few that divers may consider:

Security Stuff Bag:
This is a bag that resembles a duffel bag. When not in use, the bag rolls up and can be easily carried in your travel bag. When you need it, it unrolls and provides a generous waterproof storage bag that can hold a variety of scuba items - regulators, wetsuits, cameras, and other valuables. The unique security feature of this bag is that the outside of the bag is protected by a stainless steel (rust-free) security cage, that resembles chicken wire - only stronger. The wire mesh completely surround the outside of the bag and the top is secured with a padlock. The 2nd most important feature is that when the top of the bag is locked, you are provided with a 2 to 3 foot long steel cable that allow you to lock the bag down to a fixed object such as a steel pole, hand rail of the boat, or a variety of other secure locations such as in the trunk of your car.

The downside of this bag is that the cable can be cut with wire cutters, however, most thieves are looking for quick thefts that do not make a lot of noise or cause attention To see a video of this bag and how it works, see above link.

Security Day Pack
This is a daypack that looks like a regular daypack, however inside the daypack is a removable safe that features the same type of security mesh noted above. Whats nice about this daypack, is you can use it anywhere. You can remove the portable safe and leave it in your hotel to lock down your laptop, or on the boat to secure a expensive regulator, you wallet, passport, and other valuables. This bag comes in two sizes - The Daysafe 200 is the larger bag and the DaySafe 100 is smaller. For the price, the DaySafe 200 is a better bag for what you get.

Mini Portable Safes
You can buy flexible mobile safe in a variety of sizes that can be used to secure your wallet, camera, or other larger items. These safes can be packed in your luggage and locked down to a secure object so they cant be stolen when underwater.

Portable Security Cage
This type of product has been around for the last 10 years of so, it is just the steel security mesh cage that you place over your dive bag or any other piece of luggage for that matter. This security cage is very flexible and is made in different sizes for each of the most common size bags. This cage fits the most largest bag. You can watch a video of its use. You will find several other sizes of the mesh when you go to the above page.

Security Straps and Special Locks
Several other types of security cables are on the market that are used by divers who visit locations where theft is an issue. This is an interesting security strap It is made by Steel Core. It looks like a regular tie down strap, however it features a built in lock so the strap can't be untied after it is locked, but its real security feature is that embedded into the nylon strap is a steel security cable that keeps the strap from being cut off. The best part is that due to the security cable being encased in nylon webbing, bolt and wire cutters cannot cut it. The nylon webbing "binds up" the blades of the bolt cutters. Watch the video of the straps to see the bolt cutters trying to cut the straps but fail.

I don't want to make this message three pages long, but you will find several other mobile security items that can help you protect your valuables -These products help protect valuable camera, laptop, wallets, or dive gear. You just have to hunt around a little bit.

Again, nothing is full proof, you are just buying time with the hope that the thief will go after someone else's stuff. Most of us will never have anything ripped off when we travel on a dive trip, but when it does, it can really cause a problem - Just we aware, know that valuables can be stolen anywhere, at anytime when we leave in behind, and take reasonable measures to protect your property when on dive trips -- You will never find a crime free dive location, or for that matter a crime free city where we might live. Don't get to worried about being a victim - Just be aware, educated, and prepared to have a great trip!!!!

DiverVince, are you having any difficulty renting any of your places on Bonaire?
VINIBU @ Bellevue Condominiums, Bonaire, NA
Vinibu, Bellevue #9, Bonaire, Dutch Caribbean--Welcome

:laughing: ya gotta love it, folks.

PF..Really NOT at All! We had over 85 percent occupancy last year and in the first 2 weeks of 2010 we're already got >45% occupancy for the new year. All our guests are completely enamored by their wonderful trips and none have ever had any type of crime problem. I'm just trying to give an accurate representation of Bonaire vs your twisted view which has no bearing to reality. You still never answered my question which I posed twice.

So now for the third time, what's your real agenda in continuously knocking such a beautiful island with some of the lowest crime rates and best scuba diving throughout the entire Caribbean?

Between you & me, I do suspect I've made more trips to Bonaire then you have probably had made anywhere in the world:D

Back
Top Bottom