Sea & Sea DX-1200 HD for first time purchaser?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just spoke to my local diveshop who had been in touch with the regional distributor today.
They managed to replicate my errors (as described) and sent me a new one scheduled to arrive before the weekend.

Hope you get the same good treatment!

I just bought a 1200HD and the first night testing it was fine. HOWEVER...I left for Cozumel last Saturday and needless to say I have not a picture from the entire trip (unless you count one while waiting for the plane at the airport to come home).

The thing will not turn on 9 times out of 10, then it will not turn off. The buttons activate different functions than they are supposed to, ie the shutter button usually (if it does anything) seems to bring up the bracket function. Something else is when the camera is "off" it runs down the battery in less than 3 hours.

Is this what anyone else experienced?

It honestly ruined one of the parts of my trip I was looking forward to. We'll see what Sea and Sea has to say, hopefully they will be helpful like it appears they were on the one above.

That sounds completely different than what I and the other posters experienced. I sent an email to the service dept. and they replied (after a week!) with an RMA # and to ship it to them and they would investigate it. I replied back and asked if there's a local dealer that I can take it to instead and also if this is a "recognized problem" with the 1200, but I have not gotten a reply back.

I made the original post on this problem back in early June. Sent the camera (at my expense) to the service rep for repair. Seems to work ok (above water) now, but will have to wait until next drive trip to see for sure. They never said what they did to repair the camera. Meanwhile, bought a new Nikon D5000 with the 10-24 wide angle lens. Waiting for my Ikelite housing for it, but it takes great pictures. Got an email from Nikon about some glitch with the thing they found and a UPS 2day mail ticket to return for repair within 1 week and returned to me at no cost. Now that is real difference. Camera cost about the same, but Nikon found the problem and notified everyone that had purchased certain serial numbers and took the lead to fix it. Next dive trip I take both cameras.

Same problem with my 1200HD. Hanging underwater and has spoiled all diving trip.
Now my daughter is trying to rectify problem with local dealer and has just the same crap - "we are trying to reproduce it".

Seems that was "faux pas" for me to buy this camera. :(

While i have not taken in on a dive yet, I was not able to reproduce the freeze up after I got it back from the Sea&Sea repair shop. Going to Grand Turk Thanksgiving week. I'll take my new Nikno D5000 as well.

Very helpful thread - this one was on my list, so I'll look for something else now in view of these comments..!

There hasnt been a whole lot of traffic on the 1200hd so I'm bumping this old thread to see if these freezing issues have been resolved or not?

They fixed mine after the Tobago dive tript. Used it in Turks/Caicos for a week and no problems. Hope the other folks got theirs fixed. Thanks for the posting on this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom