Winter Jetty Fest 2010 Jan 22-24

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is anyone planning on diving at 1:30pm on Friday (Jan 22nd) ??????

If nobody posts about diving on Friday I wont waste time driving over that day. I will however be there to meet up with Paulwall on Saturday at 1:30 for sure. It will be nice diving again with you paul.

This will be a good test for my 8/7 semi dry suit.

I dove my 8/7 semidry in the North Atlantic in 2008 because the temps were supposed to be mid-fifties. It was 46 at depth, and I had to thumb the dive after 35 minutes BT because I have never been so cold in all my life. If it gets warmer at depth through thermoclines, if you get that deep, then it may warm some, but are you going to find that deep water diving from shore?

Just found this thread and reading it... almost caught up.

I have a 6.5 mm semi dry and it keeps me nice a warm unless I stop moving a stay still for long periods of time taking pictures. The coldest water I have taken it in was 51*. Right now the water temp gauge in the pass which is located reasonable close to Ft. Pickens is reading 53.2* right now as of this post. The weather is supposed to stay nice until this weekend, so it should stay the same or even warm up a little.

I dove my 8/7 semidry in the North Atlantic in 2008 because the temps were supposed to be mid-fifties. It was 46 at depth, and I had to thumb the dive after 35 minutes BT because I have never been so cold in all my life. If it gets warmer at depth through thermoclines, if you get that deep, then it may warm some, but are you going to find that deep water diving from shore?

Just found this thread and reading it... almost caught up.

You must get cold easily. This is why it hard to suggest to someone as to what mil suit to ware. What do you use in 68 deg water? I use a three mil and can hold out for about 45 min to an hour with no hood. With a hood I never get cold. So I am hoping that I can dive in 45 to 50 deg water with my hooded 8/7.

You must get cold easily. This is why it hard to suggest to someone as to what mil suit to ware. What do you use in 68 deg water? I use a three mil and can hold out for about 45 min to an hour with no hood. With a hood I never get cold. So I am hoping that I can dive in 45 to 50 deg water with my hooded 8/7.

The problem is not just the temperature, but the depth. 53 at the surface is not the same as 53 at 100 feet. I got cold on the dive I was on at 150, and it was 46 at that depth. The deeper you go, the less suit you have, and you get colder as the water generally also gets colder.

Here is the weather forecast for this weekend:

Friday, Jan 22
01.gif

High: 68 °F RealFeel®: 70 °F
Sunny and pleasant

Friday Night, Jan 22
33.gif

Low: 51 °F RealFeel®: 47 °F
Clear

Saturday, Jan 23
04.gif

High: 65 °F RealFeel®: 63 °F
Breezy with sun and clouds

Saturday Night, Jan 23
38.gif

Low: 57 °F RealFeel®: 50 °F
Mostly cloudy, windy and mild with a shower

Sunday, Jan 24
06.gif

High: 67 °F RealFeel®: 65 °F
Mostly cloudy and breezy with a chance of showers and thunderstorms

Sunday Night, Jan 24
39.gif

Low: 49 °F RealFeel®: 43 °F
A couple of evening showers; otherwise, partly cloudy

After the weather we have experienced over the last couple weeks, highs in mid 60's is going to feel great!

I don't know how much weight I will need either. I was hoping to do a test run this weekend, but did not get a chance. I think I will need at least 20lbs. Maybe we can get a weight check in before the dives.

Sounds like a plan. We could get to the site early and bring some weights down by the water and see what it takes to sink us.:D

I should be there when the park opens on Friday morning. This past weekend I baked leg quarters with yellow rice in my dutch oven. It will feed 4 people($5.00 meal) and it was awesome. I could cook enough for eight with two ovens. We would need a couple of sides to go with it and it takes care of one meal. Every site has a grill. We are open for ideas and comments so lets get it going.

I hope to see everyone there.

If you are for sure camping out Friday and Saturday night then I will too. And you better have plenty of firewood for the night. You wouldn't want a visitor slipping in your heated condo tent during the night.:D

A couple of sides? Does standing beside the food count?:wink:
Your suggestions sound awesome. I will be glad to bring something to cook. I might even cook some stew again. It is hard to mess up throwing stuff in a crock pot and leaving it for hours.:D

Alex, those veggies you cooked at the fest sure were awesome. Barry, you can't beat you kabobs... hint hint :wink:

Is anyone planning on diving at 1:30pm on Friday (Jan 22nd) ??????

I will be there for the dive on Friday Walter. We can just go to the water early and get our weighting squared away.:)

I'm in for whatever, but being so close to home I'm questioning my desire to camp.

I have been away quite a bit lately on dive trips and it's starting to wear a bit on the wife. Since the diving is so close to home, I will not be camping. This way I can still do things around the house to keep the wife happy and me diving!

Back
Top Bottom