Aliikai or Kaila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KateAus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I thought I would post it here as I tacked it onto an old thread in the main forum which is getting no response - so apologied for th re-post

Does anyone have any comments on either of these jackets? I was wondering if users of either had any more to add. E.g. do you miss the cummberbund on the Aliikai? There are some really good posts on Back Mount versus Jacket, but I'm wondering if anyone has any comments about these two BCDs?

I'm a rescue diver with about 30 dives done pretty close together so I'm very comfortable in the water. Most of my diving is tropical, nothing below 15 degrees celsius. I was wondering how either jacket performs on surface swims as I swim face down and find I have a lot of drag with rental jackets.

Thanks for any help you can offer

Ive had the Alikaii for 10 mos now and I LOVE it.
I was used to a true jacket and when I dive dry I felt like a balloon. I wanted to get rid of the 'blosting' and tried the Alikaii. I was right. I dove it threeks of tropical and cenote diving and did my first drysuit dives with it this weekend. It was perfect! none of this blimpy feeling at your sides. i love the feeling of the back inflate, though have added two small dumpable pockes to the tank and weight pocket band to compensate for any 'tipping' from the bladder.
I cannot say enough about it.
The only con would be that I find the bottom dump 'knob' hard to find as it ALWAYS floats up into the folds of the bladder. once you know where to feel for it, its OK, but rather odd to be so positively buoyant.
i LOVE not having a cummerbund, and just the clips. Easy as pie to get into and doesnt wreck your suit from the velcro!
I do miss the pockets as I regularly dive with a sausage, light and camera. The roll-up pocket is useless, and a waste of mesh. unless I was picking up plastic cups off the bottom it looks so fragile! and I dont want it banging into my leg if I do put anything weighty in it!
OH! and folding it up into a little pack when youre done will get you an audience on the boat for sure!
Good luck!
Poppy

Thanks for the reply, :D

How did you find the transition? Is it the sought of gear you can throw on and be comfortable in after a few months break?

Has anyone got any comments on the Kaila? Reading the Mares description it looks like although it is a jacket it tries to push most of the air into the back

You should always be cautious after a few months break regardless of gear adjustment, but this was easy to adjust to. I did get it in the fall, after diving all summer, and took it to the Caribbean and mexico 3 times. :D
But after a long break, I have just christened it in my drysuit, which did concern me-more/different air/buoyancy to worry about.
Not to worry. Again, found it easier to hit neutral with the air at the back; especially at depth and descent.
From what I have seen of the Kaila, those sides puff up quite a bit when orally inflated...

I've had the Kaila for 2 years or so now. I haven't tried the Aliikai though. I really like the Kaila, but I do have a couple small complaints. I wish there were more D-rings, so I could clip my camera, sausages, etc. on their own rings. My BCD can be a bit bulky, especially when packing for dive trips, so maybe the Aliikai would be better in that sense (it's a "travel" BCD, right?). I hope this helps!

It's now been a year since I bought the Kaila and I have to say I am pretty happy. The best part is your front is clear which feels great and helps reduce drag. The jacket pockets sit well back and there is none of that bloated feeling. The Quick release weights are fantastic and save so much time. I'm often last on the dive deck but first off the boat!

There are a couple of drawbacks. Now that I have been diving for a while I use less weight, which means I have very little air in my jacket, it can be sometimes difficult to get the air out round near the pockets, especially is you have a SMB in them. A squeeze with the elbows usually does the trick when you are horizontal but this can be tricky when vertical. It is a little bulky and since I am travelling and diving A LOT more (I moved to asia) I would probably now be better suited to the Aliikai. Having said that it was the right decision at the time and I still love the jacket.

In summary, fantastic for women - the chest strap is in just the right spot and there is no bits of velcro or plastic where it shouldn't be.

I don't think you could go wrong with either jacket

Happy diving!

I also love this one. I have not tried the other, but the Aliikai is lightweight and very easy to get in and out of, really easy to use, but I do agree, not much pocket space.

I have kalia and i love it its really comfy,has enough D rings and the pockets are easy to access i have not tried the other jacket you mentioned but i definatley recommend the kalia as i find it makes you feel safe in a way but it is not bulky :) and i just read your question about it pushing air to the back..there is like small flaps that fit round the tank and this holds air so yes it does push a little more air to the back but i have no problems with this

Back
Top Bottom