Help ID this fish:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Papa_Bear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
It seems to live in Giant Anemones in the Caribbean, this one was in Bonaire at 35ft and swan unharmed in the tentacles of the Anemone.
820__MG_0220_Unkown_Fish_in_Giant_Anemone_Bonaire_09.jpg

You can see size in relationship to the tentacles. I am thinking a Blenny of some kind?

The first picture does indeed look like a blenny, it looks like possibly a member of the family Labrisomidae. However the second picture looks more like a juvenile dwarf wrasse, Doratonotus megalepis
The only thing is, as far as I know none of these live commensally with anemones.

FYI the anemone is a Condylactis

It is the same fish unless both where in the same Anemone? I may have lost contact, but I was thinking along the exact same lines as you mentioned. Sorry for the quality of the second shot but it was on the move! Was hoping someone could nail it down? The relationship is what caught my eye!

It's an unusual habitat for a dwarf wrasse, they are usually found in grass beds. But it sure does look like one. As was suggested a Labrosimus maybe a quillfin, but also unusual behavior. Interesting.

sorry i am late- but this is quite a tricky ID!

not a labrisomus, they are quite "heavy" looking and dark as small juveniles, it has an elevated front of the dorsal fin and a wrassy-parrotfishy look- I think it is a Doratonotus, or, less likely, a baby razorfish.

Looked through my fish collection and the answer is that it is a baby green razorfish.. the babies have the elevated front dorsal and the little white spots....

Ben

coralreeffish.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom