Panasonic Lumix TZ7/ZS3 with u/w case DMW-MCTZ7 HD VIDEO test results

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One more feedback on the Zs3, both above and under water:

Above: I would not be as tough as Scuba-junky. I find the zs3 very acceptable in outdoor conditions (And I compare it with D90 ...). iA is not always perfect though, and most of the time, i use auto with few adjusts.
Insides pictures are not really good, and even when you freeze iso at 100, it is really average P&S.

u/w:
Pros:
the excellent feature: the fact you can adjust the filter, even using the case. You can have excellent picture even without an external strobe.
Cons: the batery is weak. You need to put some hydro absorbent to avoid moist. It is apparently a common problem with many u/w cases, but this one for sure have it.

But overall, what is really really good with this camera is how good the video is. Above or under water, this camera is sooo forgiving.

Without pretending being close to some shots posted, especially wicked_innit, here is a (long) extract of decent diving vacations:

YouTube - plongee polynesie noel 2009

if you want to compare tz7/zs3 videos vs canon g9 videos, you can check out this page

YouTube - junlao122675's Channel

HD vids (thailand and vietnam 2010- note that both had terrible viz, 5-10m max..) are the Lumix's,

all other videos by a Canon G9 (Bohol, Palau, which had great viz etc)

Bob, did all possible combos, where Canon lacks in sharpness and pixels, it makes up for smoothness, and I find the Panny vids capture to much red in u/w-fish mode while having washed out color in cam mode even with wb adjustments (maybe did it wrong)

I might shift back to Canon g series if it includes hd video already (g12 perhaps)

btw, shooting pics, if in cam mode, set shutter to 1/80 minimum (optimal 1/125) and iso 100, if in auto mode, has tendency to take shots at low shutter speeds and you'll have ghost pics, unless thats ur desired effect?.... :) in cam mode, u definitely need lightroom or photoshop otherwise, pics just green. again- sea conditions is main variable in final photo output...ai to unpredictable, but as stated, unfortunate to test it in bad viz..but for pics, definitely g series gets better pics.

Keep in mind am just an amateur/enthusiast and no way claim to be an expert here hehehe, but do understand topside shutter/apperture and iso principles relative water between the cam and subject.

ei jun how are you
too bad it isnt working out for you and the zs3. i did see your thai vids and they looked a bit wahed out. i thinking it could be that conversion software your using in your apple thats causing this.
if you look at other vids on yt of the zs3, u/w or topside, they dont appear washed out at all.
as for the canon, i actually said that it is in fact sharper than the zs3 but i find the panny has more vivid pics.
canon has a better ccd, panny has a better cpu(2)
but then again you are comparing a cmera thats shooting raw to one thats shooting jpeg ( aside from the price difference).
i guess i was never a canon fan, way too expensive and too much hype for what you actually get.
i look to panny, oly, and samsung to shake up the camera world even more in 2010.

however if your thinking of a canon, i suggest you look at models other than the g series series, like the sx20 and s90, or their future replacements

cheers

back again :cool2:

wow you guys are really into it hahaha..

here's my latest creation in Maldives over xmas..i think this is my best one so far..and do subscribe to my channel for more.

Its a WMV-HD muvee:

YouTube - 6. Maldives for Xmas 2009 (HD muvee)

I still used u/w auto settings so thanks for all the experimentation on previous posts.will come in handy...For underwater i havent honestly tried to change much..the difference with this vid is that i rigged the cam to a OEM tray and double handles with a video light (which i hardly used) . This gives it great stability during currents and i tried to pan as slowly as humanly possible during the excitement..

I did find that using for AVCHD - High Speed Area Focus & especially Continuous Focus gave the best results..eats up battery but who cares when you have mantas in your face..

As for batteries which are sore point around the world....i found a handy little shop in Singapore which sells pirated anti-chip 1.2 firmware batteries at SGD 45 a pop..message me if you want more info..but i aint your middleman am afraid :no:

I believe the casing is designed to put more pressure on the oring when descending so no problems changing batteries after even after one dive...just be careful ascending of course

I might collect all the goodness of this thread and post another one (maybe a sticky for Panasonic TZ7 users Mr Admin?) to prevent new lookers suffering major postitis..:D.

Wicked Innit-- magnificent mantas!

Pardon my late arrival, but I just bought my ZS3 a couple of weeks ago, and there is a ton of fantastic info you have put in this loooooooong thread.

Question: which housing seems to be preferred: the OEM Panasonic DMW-MCT27 or the 10bar? I prefer the max depth ratings on my housings, and typically stray from the OEM's. Thoughts.......

here is my vid of Malapascua

youtube.com/watch?v=_UDASsl3wNY

Panasonic will also released new model of this camera named TZ10... sad... so fast to have a replacment...

panasonic.jp/dc/tz10/

nice videos wicked and sfen :)

wow Bob, I should have waited 30 days....tz10/zs7 has full p/a/s/m control :( I doubt on u/w housing coming out soon though..

hard to rely everything on cam, no control on aperture can be a bane..especially during macro shots with flash, o well, lucky for those who waited, that is if a housing does come out

still.. love the hd vid :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom