Salt River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AzAtty

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Two weeks ago, as I was hacking my way through the brush on a hike along the Salt River, one of the people with me said his brother (a diver) had hit 40 feet in a hole at (I think) "blue point." Has anyone heard of this "hole"? I'm thinking it would be an interesting place to do search and recovery. Or play river monster.

Where's this at. I've been along some parts of the Salt River, but never saw anything that looked like it might be a good dive. However, I have heard that the Salt River is decent for "treasure" hunting after spring break in some areas.

I'll see Dave tonight, so I'll ask him exactly where it is. If he doesn't have it at hand, I'm sure he'll buy some map software and find me some GPS coordinates (we're taking a trip to REI, which means that Dave just needs some small justification for a purchase). Jim, another person on the trek (and also a former SEAL and diving instructor) said he knows where it is. With spring break coming up next week, I'm thinking the following week might be a treasure hunt in the river.

Here's Quad of the area around "blue point bridge", which is probably the area he's referring to

here's the google aerial of the same general area

and the Bridge itself :) dec, 2003. so low-water, looks like a deep pool upstream of the bridge itself.

I've driven over the bridge a few times, but that was back in the early 90s. Haven't been out that way since.

I have dove the area of "Blue Rock" more times than I care to remember. The holes that you were told about are located just north of the Blue Point bridge. After the river passes under the bridge it makes a very sharp bend to the west and from that point to the next set of rapids is where the holes are located. The holes can be found along the north side of the river near the large blue colored boulders. It's best to enter the river from the south shore near the bend and swim to the north side. Watch for the rapids on the western side of the dive location. Since the Forest Service fenced off a large portion of the river it is tuff to get to the south shore of the river from the road but hands down the south shore provides the best entry/exit points. Great place to find alot of " lost stuff". If you haven't dove in a river before absolutely go with someone who has, it's not drift diving in Cozumel! Good luck treasure hunting!

Just wanted you to know that there is at least one other diver "Stupid" enugh to
dive the salt river this time of the year. And yes there are still a few holes with
enugh water to make it fun. (30 feet or so)

I go there once a week in the winter.... and almost every other day once they open the river flow in early spring!

I have been diveing for years.... but for just a 3 or 4 hour stay, its a blast.

And again you can find almost anything on the bottem.

How from from Mesa is this? I'm heading down to be stationed there for a couple months and need to dive frequently.

I am definatly looking forward to some salt river diving this year - its the easiest to get to from the east valley with some.

that and helping "clean up" the river by removing objects of value will be helpful (for the environment)

How from from Mesa is this? I'm heading down to be stationed there for a couple months and need to dive frequently.
Just under 20 miles from downtown Mesa.

Saguaro Lake is another option but the vis can be bad there at times - actually the river being discussed above connects to it just a mile or so off the map to the right.

Probably the best diving in the Phoenix Metro area is at Lake Pleasant which is just north of Phoenix. From Mesa that would be about an hour drive or less depending on traffic. There's a Sport Chalet that you'd pass on I-17 heading there, they do tanks/fills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom