What is a good editing software for an amateur?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gimp can be difficult to learn. There are more resources (books, tutorials, "recipes" in the application) available to learning Photoshop Elements.

www.faststone.org is excellent and free
Highlights:
  • Relatively fast HQ image/thumbnail viewing (using Lanczos resampling algorithm)
  • Support for dual head configuration
  • Custom order arranging (via DnD) and automatic renumbering
  • Color space management
  • Magnifier lens
  • Portable version to be used without installation, typically installed on USB key, including all user settings.
Other more common features include:
  • Support for all major graphic formats (BMP, JPEG, JPEG 2000, animated GIF, PNG, PCX, TIFF, WMF, ICO and TGA), with a particular focus on popular digital camera RAW formats.
  • Thumbnail cache and database
  • Basic image editing tools ( resizing, cropping, color correction, red-eye removal
  • Lossless JPEG rotations
  • Side-by-side image comparison tool (up to 4 at a time)
  • Fully customizable contact sheet Builder* Emailing
  • Memory card image retriever
  • Slideshow (including music and many transition effects)
  • Emailing

Thanks everyone!

I just got my camera and the Canon software seems to do the trick for now. I'll master this one then take some of the advice from here. I do use GIMP now for minor editing, but it is tough to use.

Actually, I am really impressed with GIMP 2

I have been using GIMP for about 4 years now, but to only crop images, reduce size....small stuff.

After using the Canon program for a little, it has allowed me to better utilize GIMP. It has some nice features and I think between the two it will make my photos look the way I want.

Again, great thread and I appreciate all the responses.

I just downloaded and screwed around with 'faststone'. I like it. Easy to use.
I like the full screen edit page, and 4 way compare.

doulble click on a picture and then move the mouse to all the way to the top/left/right. Different options apear.

Click on 4 pictures and hit p. 4 way compare.

Another vote for Lightroom here. Unless I want to recover a seriously bad image, it does all I need. If you want to start doing stuff like adding fish where there weren't any, then then something like Photoshop is the tool.

There's a good series of Lightroom tutorials which show just what you can do within image improvement. Learn Lightroom 2.0 - Basics: 01 Overview of importing | Adobe TV Click on the 'More Episodes in this show' half way down the page. In particular Basics 07 & 08 will show just what you can (and can't) do to an image.

The important thing for me is that all the adjustments are non destructive to the raw file so you can go back and re-do anything without the disk space overhead of keeping lots of files of the same capture.

When you're really happy with a good shot, export it as a jpg or to the web module or slideshow, again without the overhead of keeping multiple format files of everything you shoot.

ANYTHING but Photoshop ,unless you enjoy being frustrated, dazed and confused

Back
Top Bottom