Aquarium Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2OGuy75

New
Reaction score
Hi All

If any of you will be out towards Baltimore anytime soon, check out the dives at the National Aquarium in Baltimore! Its a pretty neat program, the dives are run on Saturdays from 3:00 to around 7:00. You get to do two dives - one in the Atlantic Coral Reef tank and one in the Wings of Water exhibit ( with all the stingrays and the sea turtle! )

The dives are run by Atlantic Edge Dive Center, you can visit their website and register online or call them at 1-866-550-3483.

:eyebrow:

That's pretty cool. None of the aquariums I know of would do that for non-aquarium staff.

I'll be moving to Baltimore in November and am interested in diving year round. I was actually curious about becoming an aquarium volunteer at any local facilities. Would you happen to know of any such opportunities?

I'll be looking for dive buddies, as well, who are interested in either local diving or weekend dive trips year round.

I just did the Baltimore Aquaium dives with the Atlantic Edge group last week. What a cool dive.
The Green turtle actually came right up to me and went between my legs. I'm not an expereinced diver but could never image anything like that happening in the wild. The stingrays swim all around you. They only put 6 people in the tank at a time so plenty of room.
I would recommend everyone do the dives at least once. Now I'm headed off to Epcot.

Thanks for the info, and thanks to Matt for the

1z6yrme.gif

Its definitely something that would be a nice weekend trip from NY.

Perusing their website I found this:

This can be a PADI Specialty! We can certify you as a PADI 'Aquarium Diver' - a great way to add to your diving resume! To purchase the specialty, click here.

Why am I not surprised about a PADI "Aquarium Diving Certification"?

I'd consider it but I used up my discretionary income for this year pursuing the PADI "Golfball Retrieval Certification" and I haven't yet broken even on it.

I'll be moving to Baltimore in November and am interested in diving year round. I was actually curious about becoming an aquarium volunteer at any local facilities. Would you happen to know of any such opportunities?

I'll be looking for dive buddies, as well, who are interested in either local diving or weekend dive trips year round.

When you get close to getting here, go to Volunteer and fill out an application. They will then let you know when the written test is. They run them a couple of times a year. Typically it is winter and summer. They just had one recently, January 11th. Assuming you do well on the written test, there is an in water test (skill review) and finally there is an interview. You need to have 60 dives and an AOW rating. It is a competitive process. For the group that went through in the summer 59 showed up for the written test and 13 ultimately made it. Study marine biology in the meantime, or PM me and I'll send you a guide.

I just did the Baltimore Aquaium dives with the Atlantic Edge group last week. What a cool dive.
The Green turtle actually came right up to me and went between my legs. I'm not an expereinced diver but could never image anything like that happening in the wild. The stingrays swim all around you. They only put 6 people in the tank at a time so plenty of room.
I would recommend everyone do the dives at least once. Now I'm headed off to Epcot.

What day were your there?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom