Rebreather Try Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skdvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This past weekend I did a Rebreather Try Dive with Greg Such from Shipwreck Adventures, man what an experience it was. Greg brought down the VR Technology Ouroboros and Sentinel as well as the KISS Classic. I personally choose to dive the KISS Classic. I like the idea of having to manually control my O2 injection. I had read quite a bit about the Sentinel and Ouroboros too and they sound like a very nice breathers but I think that if I ever make the jump to CCR I would start with a mCCR. It was really nothing like I expected. I thought that my buoyancy would be out of wack but I did not think it would feel as different as it did. The buoyancy of the loop really threw me off for the first few min, but I felt like I was starting to get the hang of it after a few min. We got a nice 20 min dive in the quarry, and I learned a lot in that 20 min.

I could not say enough good things about Greg. When we had the class portion he was very calm yet very commanding. I definitely trusted his knowledge and ability. A good buddy of mine (who is very critical of instructors) took his Advanced Nitrox, Deco and Trimix from Greg and thought that his teaching style was very good. Meaning that he thought he was very strict but not demeaning. I personally would not hesitate to take a class from him.

Greg also runs charters up in the Great Lakes both Rec and Tec. I have not been on his boat yet, but hopefully this summer I will make it up there. I have some video clips from the try dive that I am putting together right now. Hopefully I can get the video up sometime today...

Phil

Glad you enjoyed your first trip over to the "Dark Side". I made the jump over to a Kiss about two years ago and haven't looked back. The buoyancy does take a little getting used too but after 20 hours or so you should be around where you are on OC.

What sort of experience/training level did he want you to have to try this?

What sort of experience/training level did he want you to have to try this?

I have around 150 dives, about 75 on doubles, around 20 or so with a stage. One of the guys trying them has over 1000 dives, and one of the guys has around 30 dives. You pretty much just have to be competent in the water for the try dive. The biggest thing is that you have to watch your PO2 and be able to go to your bailout bottle. So as long as you can swap regs in the water without freaking out you should be fine. That is just my feeling for a try dive, the instructors requirements may be different.

Phil

@ wrybosome Jason Fisch and Dave Oldham ran something similiar to this at Dutch Springs this summer. I am sure they will be running another this upcoming season. There was a small cost involved to help cover incidental but certainly worth it for the price. The requirement I believe was advanced open water and nitrox. If you want info on events coming up you can PM and I will try and keep you informed.

@ wrybosome Jason Fisch and Dave Oldham ran something similiar to this at Dutch Springs this summer. I am sure they will be running another this upcoming season. There was a small cost involved to help cover incidental but certainly worth it for the price. The requirement I believe was advanced open water and nitrox. If you want info on events coming up you can PM and I will try and keep you informed.

I'd appreciate that Martini, thanks!

It would be cool to try no bubbles.

I'd appreciate that Martini, thanks!

It would be cool to try no bubbles.

Make sure you leave the checkbook and credit cards at home...:D

Phil

The buoyancy of the loop really threw me off for the first few min, but I felt like I was starting to get the hang of it after a few min. We got a nice 20 min dive in the quarry, and I learned a lot in that 20 min.
Phil

Phil, did you find you needed more weight since exhaling wont do it...?? If so, where do ya put it..?? or does the system weigh enough where being positive is not a factor..??

Well it was somewhere between what I would wear with doubles and singles. I was using my 5lbs SS Backplate, then he put a 5 or 6 lbs channel weight on my plate. I got in the water like that but could not really descend very well. I pulled myself down the line and once I got down a few feet I felt So So. We got to the bottom (20ft) and I just did not feel comfortable that I had control, so we surfaced and they dropped a 3lb weight in a pocket of my drysuit and after that I felt pretty good. I felt like I could have used another 3 lbs and would have felt better, but I was able to control my buoyancy pretty good. I am sure it is like when you first start diving, that after you get use to it you can drop some weight.

We were in 42* water so I had on a heavy undergarment. With doubles and the exposure suit all the same I normally add a 6lbs weight belt, really that is just so that I can keep a little more air in my DS with the water that cold... I need to get myself one of those channel weights...

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom