Diving from Dumaguete

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bobshreve

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I dived Dauin and Apo Island from a resort in Dauin in 2008. I'm interested in diving from a hotel in Dumaguete. Any recommendations for hotels or for dive ops?

Also, any thoughts on the Apo Island Resort?

Last edited:
I dived Dauin and Apo Island from a resort in Dauin in 2008. I'm interested in diving from a hotel in Dumaguete. Any recommendations for hotels or for dive ops?

Also, any thoughts on the Apo Island Resort?

I have stayed on Apo Island three times now at Liberty Lodge and Paul's Diving. It is a little more than I usually spend but I like being so close to the dives and supporting the community. I usually stay about 5 days so I get to dive all the sites on the island and request more dives on the site I like or have photographic opportunities. They don't have electricity 24/7 - it usually is turned off at night around 9pm or so.

Hi Bob,

I'd strongly recommend trying out Atmosphere in Dauin, Dumaguette - it's right next door to Bahura resort so not actually on Apo Island but daily trip are done on a larger pumpboat to Apo (weather permitting).

Mabuhay Welcome to Atmosphere Resorts Philippines

It's not as cheap as other places (but certainly not as expensive as other either!) but has to be one of the (if not the) nicest dive resorts I've ever stayed at - the facilities are great and the food is superb!

Karl

If you wanna stay in Dumaguete City it self there are 2 places highly recommended to stay:

Hotel Palwa - Dumaguete City

Hotel Nicanor Dumaguete City

Both Hotels offer very good value for your money, everything in Dumaguete is in walking-distance.

Staying on Apo is ok but simple, power and food is not really existing on the island (ok, power a few hours in the evening), nice for a day or two and romantic if you "bring a friend".

Diving from Dumaguete, I would recommend Mikes Adventurediveshop. He still has his small shop at the boulevard (1 minute walk from Hotel Nicanor ).

Specially for daytrips to Apo and other islands I would skip the other local operators in Dumaguete, but that is just me and a "small" safety issue when it comes down to boats, equipment, MFA-kit or O2 on a dive-trip.

cheers

Rhoody

I think Rhoody is the Duma expert.

As far as the APO Island Resort I have stayed there several times and really like it. Power is from 6 PM to 12 AM. Rooms I stayed in are very nice. The Dive operation is professional gear is brand new. DM's are local guys so they really know the area.

Since I am aware of the Power issue and all other issues such as remoteness etc etc, my only gripe is the cost of round trip fare between Zamboanguita and APO, coupled with the issue of a boats not being available when we arrived(more than once) despite prior coordination.

Cheers,
Roger

Last edited by a moderator:
I second the hotels above. Been there, done that. Great diving spot an i loved APO island. Have fun.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. My wife and I are going to try our luck on the island. We do have a reservation at Hotel Nicanor for Sun night before returning to the grind of Manila.

I'll let you know how things went.
Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom