ContourHD 1080p and the H2OV - compact & tough

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the tax return from Uncle Sam may end up going towards one of these. I also received a similar response about the filters from Gregg. I noticed the slight distortion around the edges as well. I expect this to be less noticeable in the water since you aren't typically filming straight lines under water unless you are on a lot of wrecks. Maybe I'm wrong. I am curious about the low light capabilities. My idea of mounting a light to the top of the housing would probably work. The one potential issue is the wide field of view versus the beam angle of my LED light. Obviously the center of the image would be a lot brighter than the edge. I am worried that the center will be so bright that the edges will be too dark. On the other hand, the wide field of view is what attracts me to the camera. My SX1 did ok in 80 feet of water with fairly poor vis in Florida. I just don't want to drop $1200 in video lights for it. The size of this thing is another huge attraction. I'd love to just turn it on and dive, knowing it is capturing everything I see without having to spend a lot of time concentrating on what is being filmed. I look forward to your tests. Please let us know and/or post some sample videos. Thanks.

I do have to say that the case is very well constructed. It is so nice I almost want to keep it as a conversation piece!

I might try some under ice tests later today but that may be a hopeful wish.

I am taking it to Aruba next week and will be testing it in a variety of scenarios (wall, wreck penetration, and deep,) along with a Canon HF100. I am debating whether to take a video light with me. I may just use a large LED light for this trip.

How to carry is still an issue for me. I am looking at a climbing/hiking headlamp harness as a secure option.

What about filters? I read about a 37mm fitting but is there room inside the case?

Tnx
Were working on getting a simple un-mounted color correction disk that will fit just inside the lip of the camera lens, this could Easley be placed on the camera before placement into the housing.
We will offer to different filters, one for blue water and one for green water.

GMSconcepts

I'm still thinking of getting one. I planned on hose clamping it to a Light Canon with some protection for the housing.

How wide of a beam does the light canon put out if one of the "Wide Angle Filters" are used? It seems like the 135 degree coverage of the lens will be tough to cover with a single light. I am interested though...

How wide of a beam does the light canon put out if one of the "Wide Angle Filters" are used? It seems like the 135 degree coverage of the lens will be tough to cover with a single light. I am interested though...

I don't know the angle of coverage, but I don't think anything short of a full-blown (real expensive) video light system would cover the whole 135 degrees. I know on its own without a filter or diffuser the Light Canon has a pretty tight beam. For me though, I think it'll do O.K. I'm going for the relative cheap.

I don't know the angle of coverage, but I don't think anything short of a full-blown (real expensive) video light system would cover the whole 135 degrees. I know on its own without a filter or diffuser the Light Canon has a pretty tight beam. For me though, I think it'll do O.K. I'm going for the relative cheap.

I hear you. I really wish we could see a video or two of the camera with some kind of light. I don't expect the entire range of coverage to be lit. I just don't want to get the camera and buy a light for it, only to see a bright spot in the center with really dark sides. Perhaps one of the few people that has the camera/housing could post video or still pics taken with a light attached. The light cannon has the right price, especially if the video quality was good enough with one of the filters installed on the light.

Were working on getting a simple un-mounted color correction disk that will fit just inside the lip of the camera lens, this could Easley be placed on the camera before placement into the housing.
We will offer to different filters, one for blue water and one for green water.

GMSconcepts

Any chance of getting stills or a short video showing a light mounted to the camera or the camera to a light? I'd just like to see how the wide angle looks with a light and how the camera handles a light. Thanks.

I hope to try a Princeton Tec Shockwave II light tonight. This has a Xenon bulb and two power settings.

It will be above water and I hope to have a "test pattern" set up with grid lines and maybe colors. "Hope" is the key word.

Last edited:
I hope to try a Princeton Tec Shockwave II light tonight. This has a Xenon bulb and two power settings.

It will be above water and I hope to have a "test pattern" set up with grid lines and maybe colors. "Hope" is the key word.

That would be helpful. Even a few stills (video capture) showing what the video looks like with a light in the middle. Above or below water would be better than nothing at all. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom