Dominican Republic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Vladi,

I spoke to you last month or so and am wondering if you are able to help me out with some diving on January 27, 28, or 29....I am staying at the NH Real Arena an dwoudl need to travel to yoour location. What do you think? I would have at least one other person with me....

Ryan Pinter

Hi Guys,
We are thinking of trading our timeshare to go to DR this year. Any of the dive shops offer bubblemaker or seal team for the children?

Sorry to hijack the tread but I have some questions.

I'm looking to make a budget trip sometime next month or March. My main purpose of the trip is to do my rescue diver. I've been to Punta cana a few years back and really liked it, the diving was pretty lame but it was a nice vacation. But now I'd rather get away from the big resorts and stay in a smaller town and experience the culture a bit. From what I've read it sounds like Bayahibe would be a cool place to stay. Here are my questions:

Price? Are there cheap places to stay. I'd rather stay away from anything all inclusive. I'm not looking for a hostel but something clean, nice and cheap!

Padi courses? I want to do my Rescue diver. Are there affordable and good dive shop?

My other choice is just going to Cozumel to do this, I've spent about 20 days in Coz in the last 12 months and would rather go somewhere else for a change. Is Bayahibe comparable or maybe cheaper than Coz? I'm a single diver and traveler so price is really important because I'm not splitting anything with anyone. (I'm sure plenty of people on here feel my pain.)

Any info would be great! thanks!

The prices for the rescue course are between 450 - 495 USD, the accommodation from 20 USD per night to 50-60 per night (this includes breakfast as well). But because it is still high season, the cheaper places are booked. Punta Cana would be more expensive then here, even the food, not only the accommodation.
I don't know the prices in Cozumel so you have to compare yourself.

I just got back from my vacation in Punta Cana. I did 8 dives from the hotel to the local reefs and to be honest the dives were better that I expected. We say a couple of large nurse sharks free swimming...lots of green morays! The reef was in pretty poor condition thoug...not much colour. I didi the Catalina Island dive trip and had a blast...the Wall was a great dive...excellent visibility even at 100'.

I dove with Sea Pro and I would give them mixed reviews. My regular dive guide as good and seemed genuinely interested in showing us as much as possible but the dive boat from the hotel was basically a large "runabout" boat with a centre console for tank storage. Pretty crowded and hard to get geared up. Also they were pretty poor with regard to standard safety stuff...not much time provided for a proper buddy check...too much separation under water (as long as the next diver was in the same ocean you were fine).

I may go back next year with my sons and if I do I will be booking with Vlad at DRSharky!

Bob (Toronto)

I too just got back from DR and I enjoyed a day with DRSharky. My buddy and I dove three tanks and had three very good dives. Vladi and Denise were great and the diving was good. We saw lots of Rays, Lion Fish, and a lot of other beautiful species of fish. Unfortunately, Vladi was not feeling well and was not able to join us on our dives but he ensured us that the young lady we were going out with would show us a great time.

The only down side of this trip was the overall cost. It was a $170.00 USD to get to the shop from Punta Cana / NH Real Arena Resort. It was a two hour drive each way, and therefore took the entire day. However after diving Bayahibe area it was well worth the cost.

I also did some snorkling off the resort neat the "Shark Tank" and I was totally discussed with the cost $25.00 USD for what we got. The ocean was way to rough and many of our boat got sick, it was not the place to put someone new to snorkling. Not to mention the reef was a total wash and had 0 colour... No fish except for some yellow snapper.....

Overall the DRSharky was a great choice and I could highly recommend them to anyone. They are off the beaten path but it is well worth the journey. Thanks again Vladi and Denise for making us feel at home...

Ryan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom