Kankakee Park District Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikelanenga

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ive been told by someone at work that you can dive old strip mines from parks in the Kankakee Park District. He is a non-diver so I thought I would check the validity of his claim. He also said there is a train at the bottom of one of the mines. Has anybody ever heard of this? Whenever I try searching "kankakee scuba" I get tons of info on Haigh. This makes it tough to research this. I would appreciate anyones input on this. Also, is there any other places around Chicagoland where you can shore dive? Ive done Pearl and Haigh and would like to try something different. It doesnt have to be great, just different would be nice.

I am not sure where you live. France Park in Indiana has diving and would be reasonably close if you live on the South Side. It also has a SCUBA "Pro Shop" on premises for air fills and such. If you live more to the north Devils Lake State Park in WI. also allows diving. Nice lake to dive although viz can be variable. Contact Three Little Devils Dive Shop which is located right outside the north park entrance for more information.

As far as diving strip mines from parks in or around Kankakee I have heard of this but have never talked to anyone who has ever done it. I think it is probably one of those urban legends that get started.

I have also heard of a quarry near the IL./WI. line with a train in it. Again, I have not ever been able to verify the existence of this site. Doesn't mean it isn't there, just that I can't confirm either way. Can anyone else shed some light on this?

Hope this helps.

Kickapoo State park allows diving. you can dive 2 lakes (strip mines) there.
I never heard of Kankakee strip mines diving. Could it be that you are mistaken?
Kickapoo IL, sounds close to Kankakee IL.
There is a train located in a quarry at Florence Ave and Rowell Ave in Joliet. But that has been closed for a long time.

For shore diving in the Chicago area you can shore dive off of Greenwood Beach in Evanston. There is a beat up wreck called the George Morley off shore about 150 feet. in 12-15 feet of water. I have not dived this site at all. There is a beach fee that you need to pay.

If you are willing to drive to Hammond Indiana, you can shore dive at the Hammond Marina. There is a wreck about 300 feet off shore or you can dive the break wall. No deeper than 20 feet though. I have dived this site. I have yet to find the wreck but I have dived the breakwall many times. Access to the beach is free.

Dont forget your dive flag. Its required to have a flag.

There are a few of us that hit Hammond Marina a few times a summer so keep looking in this part of the forum and we will post when we are going. Or you can post and ask to see who can make it out the day you want to go.

The only other diving in the Chicago area besides Lake Michigan is Haigh Quarry or Pearl Lake as far as I know. There is France Park in Indiana as already mentioned.

I'm about 3 hours away from Kickapoo State park. But next time I'm headed to Mermet I might make a pit stop there and take a peak.
What was the vis like? was it at least 10ft?
What do you mean by:
"The lake was pretty much dead"

Were there no living creatures in the lake?

In the winter, there was no visible life other than clams. Average depth was around 15ft, and silty. Supposedly, there is a school bus in a hole, but I did not see it. Overall it was a boring dive.
Vis was around 15-20ft, but it was the same landscape over and over again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom