Canon WP-V1 Housing!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks and kudos to you all... I finally dented my bank account and have bought the WP-V1 + HF-200 + Ikelite WAL (can't wait for it all to get here so I can play with it)...

So here are some questions that I'd appreciate getting your experienced answers with...

[1] I bought 2 non-Canon BP-819 batteries (so no interfacing with the internal battery timer) - If I power the camera ON, will I be able to bypass the "warning" message that comes up while it's in the WP-V1? My thought was to use a single battery and conserve power (as much as possible) by powering down between shots; but if the "battery warning" is a problem to bypass (no joystick control on the WP-V1) then I may find that I HAVE to use Canon batteries...

[2] With respect to SDHC cards - do you all have any recommendations on that? (what to avoid and what you like best)

[1] I bought 2 non-Canon BP-819 batteries (so no interfacing with the internal battery timer) - If I power the camera ON, will I be able to bypass the "warning" message that comes up while it's in the WP-V1? My thought was to use a single battery and conserve power (as much as possible) by powering down between shots; but if the "battery warning" is a problem to bypass (no joystick control on the WP-V1) then I may find that I HAVE to use Canon batteries...

[2] With respect to SDHC cards - do you all have any recommendations on that? (what to avoid and what you like best)

You can use the remote (in a zip-lock) to toggle, or just do it before you put the camera in the case. I can always get through one dive, and usually two with just the stock battery. Turn the camera off, or set the power save to a short interval- the camera powers up so quickly that it's not an issue.

with the non- Canon, just set it on, turn off the power save, and see what happens- I have no idea how long it will last, but I bet you'll get through the dive. I bought some non-stock "819"s, but they're too long to fit in the case. They were so cheap it wasn't worth sending them back.

You can use the remote (in a zip-lock) to toggle, or just do it before you put the camera in the case. I can always get through one dive, and usually two with just the stock battery. Turn the camera off, or set the power save to a short interval- the camera powers up so quickly that it's not an issue.

with the non- Canon, just set it on, turn off the power save, and see what happens- I have no idea how long it will last, but I bet you'll get through the dive. I bought some non-stock "819"s, but they're too long to fit in the case. They were so cheap it wasn't worth sending them back.

...so I assume you are NOT saying that you take your remote below the surface (dive with it) - is that correct? What did you mean by using the remote in a zip-lock to toggle? Did you mean on the surface?

...so I assume you are NOT saying that you take your remote below the surface (dive with it) - is that correct? What did you mean by using the remote in a zip-lock to toggle? Did you mean on the surface?

I put mine in a zip bag to keep the sea air away from it but since BP-819 Canon batteries can be had for only $90, I bought the real-deal and have never worried about running out of power. I even bought them at Sawgrass Mills mall here in Sunrise Florida so it wasn't an online thing. (Digital World...but they are a typical NYC Times Square electronic shop...they will advertise a $10 uv filter for $125...you have to know your prices and haggle. I would not suggest you do business over the phone...only go there if you are local...they do not refund either)

One caveat. Check the hologram on this site Counterfeit Canon Battery against any Canon battery you may be looking at.

After using Canon video for years, and trying to go on the "OEM equal" path, it is never worth it on a good geal for an original Canon.

The Canon batteries are accurate down to the second as far as recording time is concerned so why not use the real deal?

I am a looking into WAL for the housing. Up to now I see 3 available.

INON UWL100
Epoque DCL-20
Ikelite WP 20

From what I can see the INON is the only lens w/ the bayonet fitting to attach a dome port. This is not my primary concern (but a "nice to have" feature) I am wondering if there is any difference in the vignetting/ distortion / blurring around the outside of the image between lenses. This is really annoying as I have experienced it in the past.

I have read through most of the thread and seen some vids. Can any users of these lenses comment on there results?

Cheers,

Phil

Hi guys, who would you recommend I go to purchase this housing and lens / filter package? I'm looking for a knowledgeable source. Someone who will point me in the direction of what I really need instead of just trying to make a sale.

Thanks!

...but since BP-819 Canon batteries can be had for only $90, I bought the real-deal and have never worried about running out of power. ...

After using Canon video for years, and trying to go on the "OEM equal" path, it is never worth it on a good geal for an original Canon.

The Canon batteries are accurate down to the second as far as recording time is concerned so why not use the real deal?

All good points. I recieved the camera and the batteries today (seperate purchases and vendors). I'm only mildly disapointed that the power save function will cause the camera to display the unavoidable battery communication error message (since there is no joystick control on the housing. However, I'll just turn off the power save feature anyway - and the non-canon batteries I bought are 3400mAh... so I think I can run those quite a while and not worry about power left.

Jim

Hmmm..... @ 3400mAh that 380mins max and 250mins typical recording times... I think I can live with that (especially for $25 for 2 batteries and a charger)

Last edited:
I bought a Kingston 32GB Class 4 card (NewEgg.com) for $75. Anyone have any feedback on them?

Hi guys, who would you recommend I go to purchase this housing and lens / filter package? I'm looking for a knowledgeable source. Someone who will point me in the direction of what I really need instead of just trying to make a sale.

Thanks!
The housing is $389 at either B&H Photo/Video or Adorama. I've never talked to anyone there that's particularly u/w video savvy. Or you can buy it at Marinevisions for $499 and Joe Holley can likely answer your questions. Neither Reef Photo or H2OPhotopros seem to be selling it.

The lens options are listed in the post directly above yours in this thread. Without reviewing the entire thread, I believe the filter options are also. Google is your friend for the price on either.

The housing is $389 at either B&H Photo/Video or Adorama. I've never talked to anyone there that's particularly u/w video savvy. Or you can buy it at Marinevisions for $499 and Joe Holley can likely answer your questions. Neither Reef Photo or H2OPhotopros seem to be selling it.

The lens options are listed in the post directly above yours in this thread. Without reviewing the entire thread, I believe the filter options are also. Google is your friend for the price on either.

I was able to buy mine at Abes of Main for $379 (and then a $10 email discount = $369)....

You might want to check them out. They seem to be a very good online retailer...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom