ScubaPro vs Oceanic gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have everthing scubapro and love most of it. First got a classic bcd and eventually went to seaquest balance because I like the back inflate more. Also scubapro's computers aren't as user friendly as most so go with another brand. They do stand behind their product, or atleast when it's recalled. My computer was buring through a batter every dive or two and found out it was recalled, eventually got a new one for the shipping costs.

I agree with many of the comments above. Both brands are fine. I do suggest you support your local Local Dive Shop as they will support you for service or follow up. AS to your other question as to what i dive with:

- All my regs are Scubapro (MK25/600). Use Miflex hoses on all.
- Teach in a Aqualung Balanced BCD (an old time product still being sold)
- Personal BCD is a OMS BP/w

Suggest you try your selction in a pool before purchase to see if you like the fit and feel.

Scubapro's best product is a fin called the jet. It may be the only dive product that was available in the 1960's and is still popular.

Many divers show up at the boat with all gear of the same brand. Is that preference due to loyalty, pricing, or maybe..... Santa? Divers can select and use gear that all manufacturers have to offer. If you see me at Jupiter or one of the springs, you will notice that my gear set has about 8 different brands. A diver will not short circuit or explode by doing this.

A little homework about each piece allows a diver to select the right items for their location, activities and budget.

The wife and I bought Scubapro Double Black Stab Jackets ( now called the Classic)in 1988. Great BC's Loved them. In 2006 we bought new Oceanic BC's, a Hera for her (she absolutely loves it) and a Probe for me. The Probe is a great BC, fits really well and is comfortable. The first thing I did was get rid of the Cam straps and put the Scubapro ones on from my old BC's, I recommend this to anyone. I have seen way to many tanks slip on Oceanic BC's. As I recall the Oceanic BC's were about $200 cheaper than the Scuba pro. That being said if you want a jacket BC go with the Oceanic, now if I were to do it all over today I would purchase the Diverite Transpac. It is the same price as the Oceanic and would better fit my needs. As far as regulators go, dove exclusively Scubapro (Air 1, G250, D350) since the 70's, Today I dive Atomic Z2's. Remember EVERYONE of us on this board has his/her own differing opinion on gear but the only one that matters in the end is yours. You dive your style utilizing your wallet

the original STAB jacket

Another consideration for Scubapro regs. You will find Scubpro service faciloites everywhere in the world. Might be important if one travels.

Although the "buy local" comment is certainly one for consideration as well.

I am fortunate that my main LDS IS a Scubapro (and Halcyon, you can really drop some coin) dealer.

Attachments

• old scuba 001.JPG
    old scuba 001.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 160
ScubaPro is great.

Regs: MK25/S600 or A700 and R395 Octo
BCD: KnightHawk
Wetsuit: Everflex 3,5 or 7mm (A, B or C temp grading)
Fins: Seawing Nova
Mask: Scout

Thanks for the great replies. Well I am a college student so budget is tight, but I don't want the lowest end stuff either. I have given some thought about mixing up the gear and picking and choosing the pieces I want, however it appears that on a budget I can save a few hundred bucks if I buy a complete setup at one of my LDS. I have never tried one of these back inflate BC's however I am unsure that I would like it because trim and buoyancy have never really been a problem of mine, and I think I am partial to that secure "strapped in feeling" you get with a jacket style BC. That being said, let me give you guys more detail on what I have been looking at with the 2 setups in my dive style and price range:
Oceanic: Cruz BC, GT3 reg with CDX-5, Alpha 8 octo, VEO 100nx= $1000
ProbeLX BC, Alpha 8 reg with SP-5, Alpha 8 octo, VEO 100nx= $1180
ScubaPro: Glide Pro BC, R295/MK2+, R295 octo, press guage w/ wrist Aladin Prime=$1150

So price points are really all in the same ball park(do these prices seem pretty good or bad compared with your LDS?), it just comes down to preferences. I have no experience diving with a computer. I have just seen friends use theirs. So any input with using either the VEO over the Aladin would be great. Thanks for all the help so far, I just wanna get some reviews from those who have used some of this gear.

ProbeLX BC, Alpha 8 reg with SP-5, Alpha 8 octo, VEO 100nx= $1180

This is similar to what my college daughter uses. About a year and a half ago I borrowed her regulator while mine was serviced. I did the Captain Dan wreck off of Pompano Beach. At 110 feet it delivered enough air to chill my tonsils. The whole set has worked well for about four years.

Hve fun with it.

Go used......or cherry pick items........

For a grand you can put together a better rig........

I would not buy an un-balanced regulator......

Dive Gar Express has a full BP/W combo for $389........

Ultimate Hogarthian System - Dive Gear Express

And a brass and glass SPG for $59.......

Submersible Pressure Gauges (SPGs) - Dive Gear Express

Add a Suunto computer for $249.........

Suunto "Gekko" Air/Nitrox Wrist Computer, White

And an XS Scuba Tri-Metal reg for $359........

XS Scuba SeaAir Tri-Metal Regulator

You will end up with a rig that is much better in the long run..........

I know is it not as easy as dealing with your LDS......but a I think you may be upgrading the rig pretty quickly if you buy basic gear first........

M

Looks like they are getting their **** together and redisigning the venture.

Back
Top Bottom