Anyone using Inon S-2000 or D-2000 in wireless mode?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-junky

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I see where the Inon S-2000 and I believe the D-2000 both have wireless TTL. I'm interested in the S-2000 and am looking for ANYONE who has actually used it in this mode. What are the tradeoffs? Do you have to use the mirrors or is the flash inside the case enough to set it off? I'm using a simple P&S Panasonic ZS3 in the OEM clear acrylic (plastic) case. If I don't have to spend the extra $75 for a fiber cable and go through the hastle of hooking it all up and keeping it in place then I'd like to avoid the fiber cable. If the wireless doen't work very well and the fiber cable is recommended, then I'll bite the bullet buy the thing and just deal with it.

I use it that way quite a bit, but you have to make sure that your camera strobe can be seen easily by the s2000. It uses the same physics as a Fiber optic connection i.e. using the TTL pulse from the camera to trigger the ttl pulse from the strobe to then set the strobe timing. Why don't you want to use the fiber approach, it works great with no issues of having other strobes fire yours and is pretty cheap and pretty simple.
Bill

I realy had no idea how good the technology was and didn't realize the strobe would fire from other nearby cameras. I have no problem outfitting with the fiber optic cable. I just thought if it was no longer needed, then it would be one less thing to go wrong if eliminated. Looks like the technology has a ways to go. I'll pick one up.....

Sometimes I have to place my strobe in a strange position relative to the camera in order to get lighting for critters and such in crevices or holes. It's not 100% without the f/o cable. Not worth missing a shot if you can afford it.

I did use the S2000 wireless for a day or two, then I put together my own wired cable (just a normal optical cable you connect a dvd player to a stereo). Wireless it wasn't 100%, had to make sure strobe was in front of camera, etc...
With a 1.5 meter wire I now have the option of taking the strobe+arm off the tray and placing it somewhere - used that trick to photograph a lobster under a ledge.

Back
Top Bottom