Does your BC slide-up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Add a crotch strap. My girlfriend had the same problem with her BC and we just added a crotch strap, problem solved. We have a local shoe repair shop do our BC mods they have sewing machines that can handle the heavy material, just make sure they don`t damage the air cell.

Thanks for all your input - I will try the crotch strap - at this point I don't have anything to loose. I have tried to tighten/loosen the various straps - but I'm a short person (with some curves) so I have a hard time finding one that fits as it seems they are all built for short woman that weight about 100 lbs that have a longer torso.

To answer some of the other questions - I don't wear ankle weights - split my weights between my bottom pockets and top (by the tank). I usually carry around 12 lb w/ more on the top of the jacket - the config seems to work the best for me. I usually dive in the warm ocean - get plenty of the cold during the winter.

Interesting. I have this BC and had never had a problem with it moving around. I have a very short torso and am trying to think of where the cummerbund lands on me. All I know for sure is it doesn't ride up. I can't imagine having to add a crotch strap.

Were you fitted by a dealer? Maybe it's the just wrong size? Stinks that it isn't working out for you :(. Hopefully you can modify it, because uncomfortable equipment is a real bear.

For those not familiar with the model, I wouldn't really call it a vest. It's a back inflate and if you aren't used to that I could see someone having issues at the surface with tilting forward. Do you have weights in the upper tank pockets? I dive both with (in the cold) and without (warm water), but having some weight on your back at the surface might help you out some.

These issues are why, as a smaller woman, I ended up with a backplate and harness system, and why I push them so hard for people like us.

Agreed.

I mentioned above that I rented a BP/W last December. I'm going to be buying one. The fit was just too good! I actually felt like the harness and tank were a part of me, and rock solid; whereas the jacket BC's were always riding up and letting the tank flop around. Even if I had sewn on a crotch strap to stabilize it, I would have had to choose between 1) Cummerbund around waist, shoulders around ears; or, 2) Cummerbund around hips, shoulders on my shoulders.

Actually, #2 was not really even an option as none of the cummerbunds were long enough to fasten around my hips (makes sense, as they are sized for waists for a reason).

It's probably completely different for those who are not short-waisted. It doesn't just have to be short people though; I'm 5'5" - but I just have longer legs and a shorter torso.

But, as I mentioned above, it can't hurt to experiment with what you already have. Just know that there are other options if you can't get it to fit right.

B.

....was the addition of a crotch strap a custom/home-made modification or was it available as a factory supplied part ?

I use crotch straps on ALL my BC's, but I've got 'techie' ones that came with crotch straps, however most recreational BC's don't seem to offer them even as an option, although I'll admit I don't keep up with (or care about) the average recreational BC's options/features as LONG ago my diving requirements outgrew basic open water configurations, so maybe this BC in question does offer that option?

It was a home made mod ... at the moment it is a temporary measure to make sure it worked before it becomes permanent.

Just need some 1" webbing and a couple of tri glides ... very simple

I have a Ladyhawk and have no problems with this. Either you've got the wrong size or it's just the wrong BC for you = often no size of a particular BC will be right for someone. Try the crotch strap, but figure at some point you're going to bite the bullet and get something that fits you right, whatever it is.

I have to agree that the BC really doesn't fit you properly if it's moving around or riding up. Sometimes it's hard to find exactly the right BC, whether it's a jacket, back inflate, or BP/W. Not one style or brand is right for everyone.

My first BC (Seaquest Diva) did exactly the same thing, no matter how much I tried to adjust it. After shopping around, I finally bought a Zeagle Zena which has a "corset" design and 6 points of adjustment for a perfect fit. Once it's adjusted on my body, it literally NEVER moves in any direction.

My first BC was a Nemrod "horse collar." It was unusable without a crotch strap. Currently, I use a Scubapro Classic jacket style BCD, without a crotch strap, and it does not ride up. On the other hand, I don't actually have a "waist" any more - my belly is fatter than my hips! If your BC rides up, by all means try a crotch strap.

If you get a chance and one of your local dealers has something like this

Eclipse30_BC_color.jpg

Try it out. It it is a fantastic BC should fix your BC moving problems and will help with over all scuba trim/bouyancy. There are several other manufactures that make similiar units such as DiveRite Transpac

Halcyon Eclipse System HES *Buy Halcyon at DIVESEEKERS.com 888-SCUBA-47

Dive Rite Trans Pac Package ST3000P *Buy Dive Rite at DIVESEEKERS.com 888-SCUBA-47

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom