Ice diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sure you can learn most of it in a weekend, but if you don't practice ice diving on a regular basis, you lose the skills to do it safely.

When I got my static line parachuting certification, I would lose the certification if I didn't do a certain amount of static-lines in a certain period. Today I would have to do the course all over again.

Ice diving isn't something you learn once then expect to do it safely years later after not doing it for a while. Like regular diving in a way as they have refresher courses for those that have not dove for a while.

But the diving this thread is referring to is complete overhead lake diving where you drill a hole in the ice and a crew of divers descend into it all tethered with one rope and a support crew on standby holding the rope. If one diver has an emergency, they all get pulled out fast by the support crew (all for one - one for all).

This would be a bit different than icediving in a partially frozen ocean in Scandinavia.

Last edited:
When you have to cut a hole in the surface of the water with a sharp tool, in order to dive, that is God's sign to "keep out"!
Bowlofpetunias

When you can walk on the surface of deep snow, you know it's COLD.
When you can walk on the surface of deep water, you know it's Real Cold.
When you cut a hole in the surface of that water to dive, you know it's been cold TOO LONG!
me :wink:

Still the water under the ice is much warmer that the snow :) Snow can be 0F the water will be more than 32F at the same time :)

I'm of the belief the ice diving cert. acquired by a weekend of ice diving is more or less a certificate that shows one performed an ice dive rather than a certificate that clears one to go out and perform ice diving on one's own even with a crew and the proper gear.

There is no certificate out there that will clear the one. Common sense or it's absence usually does. All certificates just indicate that the subject has satisfied the curriculum of the said course. :)

Sure you can learn most of it in a weekend, but if you don't practice ice diving on a regular basis, you lose the skills to do it safely.

This would be a bit different than icediving in a partially frozen ocean in Scandinavia.

Normally I would agree since mots of the icediving would be done in lakes, however this year the fjords is frozen compleat and that makes a big change for us enjoying diving under a thick "carpet" of ice.

I am a bit scheptical though regarding the combination of wreck- and icediving but so far so good.

Normally I would agree since mots of the icediving would be done in lakes, however this year the fjords is frozen compleat and that makes a big change for us enjoying diving under a thick "carpet" of ice.

I am a bit scheptical though regarding the combination of wreck- and icediving but so far so good.

Good luck with that and if you guys get any pictures please share. Sounds quite challenging, interesting, and fun.

This whole conversation illustrates the idea that a diver needs to take responsibility for their own dives and actions. I personally think PADI is all about the money and not the training. I can say this due to experience with "buddies" who have had PADI training. Any diver who doesn't dive regularly can't maintain their expertise. An avid diver who wants to ice dive should be able to ice dive after an intensive weekend course if they keep themselves educated.

Also, I would love to see pictures of ice diving in a fjord. How do you handle the tides with a frozen surface? Do you have to time your dives with high tide or do you bring ladders?

Im looking to start ice diving and I'm looking for a good lake/pond thats frozen over somewhere in CT. Preferably eastern CT, Western RI or Southeast Mass. Any suggestions?

I've never gone in the winter but check out Brownstone park in Portland, CT. I know a few ppl that have done ice dives there over the last few years.

www.brownstonepark.com

Also, I would love to see pictures of ice diving in a fjord. How do you handle the tides with a frozen surface? Do you have to time your dives with high tide or do you bring ladders?

We obviously have not been able to handle low and high tide. We started cutting during high tide and ofcourse then there is a really high waterpressure underneeth, so when cutting through the first 40 cm we got additional 20 cm of water on top.
We plan to go back one night now and precut the triangle during low tide, and perform the actuall diving when the low tide is in the morning.
No you don't need a ladder but a carpet on the side will give enough friction to get up. Yes I will bring my UW camera and take some pictures underneeth and hopefully (if we find it) of the wreck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom