50+ year old divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We should all pool our $ now and start our own diver's retirement/nursing home. Location TBD. Who knows - if there are enough of us it could be a multi-location timeshare nursing home. :wink:

RN:
We should all pool our $ now and start our own diver's retirement/nursing home. Location TBD. Who knows - if there are enough of us it could be a multi-location timeshare nursing home. :wink:
:lol:​
Have you ever been in a Co-op. I have, a farm organization, big business in a way; never, ever again...! :shocked2:

It's funny how I am being somewhat more careful with age. Not my style, but I try. I remember a story about my old Drivers Ed teacher. When he got up in years, and had to use a walker, and I was in cell phones, he told me he always left his cell phone in the car charging. "No no, Mr F! That burns the battery up (back with NiCds) and besides, I want you to have that phone charged and on your walker anytime you use it!" He actually took my advice, and when he fell off his walker one night on his back porch, broke his arm, no one around, couldn't get up, the phone saved his life. He lived several more years after. I even went to service his phone in the nursing home a couple of times.

Today, I never leave the house without my cell and a dog tag with info on it. Now when I fell off of a farm rig last August, I slipped in a way that I was horizontal, then fell 5 ft onto my cell, digging it and the thick extended battery into my hip. Took me a while to get up, longer to walk without a limp. I have a pic of the bruise somewhere, but maybe not this time. I left 2 days later for Coz and allowed the DM to pull my kit up for me every dive. Oh, the phone keyboard got bent too, a little. It's several years old, they don't make them this good anymore, but I found some good ones on Ebay and got a few.

So anyway, take care friends. Can't expect much out of the mule if you don't treat him well, and that goes for us too.

What you doing not carring it on your walker!
Geez, old guys. Got to have it spelled out for them in writing, and then they can't read it.

+3
Where do you live? Montana
Where do you dive? local reservoirs, travel yearly to Cozumel and Maui
Favorite dive shop? Only one in town
Current certification? Padi OW, working on NAUI AOW and Rescue

Last edited:
I understand an around the world cruise cost less than a nursing home. Perhaps some of us should charter a cruise when the time comes, make sure to schedule all the great dive spots!

Be 51 in July. Still diving but only in warm clear waters. I may get nitrox certified soon. Supposed to have health benefits I hear. I have noticed it getting harder to climb back up into the boat. Legs aren't as strong esp w/ all the gear on.

Be 51 in July. Still diving but only in warm clear waters. I may get nitrox certified soon. Supposed to have health benefits I hear. I have noticed it getting harder to climb back up into the boat. Legs aren't as strong esp w/ all the gear on.
Nitrox has a lot of hype. It's good for what it does, lowering the amount of nitrogren absorbed by the body, but anything else is anecdotal - perhaps with some truth yet to be actually established. I am surprised you don't have the card tho as it is a useful tool. Regular gym workouts seem more helpful to me for health & stamina, altho those are so borrrrring.

I didn't start scuba until I was 54 but since have done a few trips to St.Catalina and the Channel Islands and one to dive Puget Sound around Seattle, Tacoma, and the San Juans. Some really neat, new sights to see. Maybe you need some heavier gear? :D

OK, I am and wanted to see how many more of us are out there.
Where do you live? Portland Oregon
Where do you dive? Warm water only....Indonesia is our favorite
Favorite dive shop? They are all about the same out here...all good !
Current certification? AOW - SSI

Wife and I started diving when we were 52 and we have just completed our 700 dive in Lembeh Indonesia. We try and do two dive trips a year, April and October. This last trip we dove 24 days out of 32 day vacation and averaged 3.8 dives per day, and we never had a dive less than 61 minutes.....

Who says we are dive addicts and that you have to be young....:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom