UH-OH !!! Start The Small H.D. S-Storm Again !!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phillybob

Contributor
Reaction score
From the Ikelite web site :

"February 11th A highly anticipated Compact Video housing for the Kodak Zi8 pocket camcorder will start shipping later this month..."

This was supposed to be the 'cream of the crop' of small, cheap H.D. cameras. Ike said a while back that because of the 'joy button' control they wouldn't be offering a housing for this camera. I guess they figured it out. Let the games begin...

WOW !! I thought, one way or the other, there'd be a ton of crap posted about this by now. Well !!! Rub my head and call me 'Lester' !!! I guess no one gives a bouncing F . Sorry.

I for one am glad since I just bought one of these cameras for the last shuttle launch. Really wanted one that had a housing but the reviews I read about the JVC and Flip HD just didnt cut it for me. So, I just figured I'll deal with it later.

Guess I dont have to now. Now, let the waiting games begin!

I went round and round with this stuff as I wanted a compact travel video, the picsio had mixed reviews and the flip ultra was too telephoto.
In the end I went with a Canon SD780 IS/ Ike housing.
The problem with the Kodak for me is that it is (apparently) not Mac compatible?!

The Ikelite website has videos from several of these tiny camcorders.... I am very impressed with them considering the size!
Here is the one for the JVC Picsio: IKELITE Underwater Systems
I am noticing the color underwater seems off, a bit harsh yellow tint. Also, the light system is nothing more than a flashlight mounted on an arm, so it doesn't cover the full field of view like a regular video light system, and it does have a bit of a hot spot. It would be decent for night dives but I wouldn't use it on day dives at all.

Considering how the airlines are killing us with baggage fees and packing photo/video equipment along with full dive gear is getting ridiculously difficult, I might consider trading in my video rig for one of these compact ones. These would fit into my purse!

robin:D

Here is the clip shot with the Flip: IKELITE Underwater Systems

I see the same color issues as with the JVC. I am not sure how deep the videographer was when shooting these, I wish they said. The shots may all be pretty shallow, I would like to see what the color and video quality look like at a depth of 60-70' and/or lower vis.

On the JVC website, there are comments that the camcorder does not do well in low light situations. Since these are comments from non-divers it is hard to know what that means for a diver. Also, are some of the color quality issues and low light issues something that could be resolved in editing?

robin

...The problem with the Kodak for me is that it is (apparently) not Mac compatible?!

Specs from B&H site says it IS Mac compatible. But the editing software provided isn't. That shouldn't be a problem.

Optics

Sensor
1/2.5 Megapixel 5" CMOS

Lens
6.3mm
f/2.8

Zoom
Digital: 4x

Recording

Recording Media
Internal Flash Memory Up To 128MB Video/Image
SD/SDHC Up To 32GB Video/Image

Recording Time
SD/SDHC
HD Video: Up to 10 hours

Video Format
High Definition
MPEG AVC/H.264
1,920 x 1,080p (30 fps)
MPEG AVC/H.264
1,280 x 720p (60 fps)

Still Image Resolution
JPEG: 5 Megapixel,

Audio Format
1-Channel Mono

Display

Display Type
LCD

Screen Size
2.5"

Touchscreen
No

Features

Image Stabilization
Digital

Built-in Mic
Yes

Built-in Speaker
Yes

Built-in Light/Flash
Light - No
Flash - No

Accessory Shoe
None

Tripod Mount
1/4"

Input/Output Connectors

Inputs
1x 1/8" (3.5mm) Stereo Mini

Outputs
1x USB 2.0
1x A/V
1x HDMI

Microphone Input
Yes

Headphone Jack
No

General

System Requirements
Windows System

* XP (SP2), Vista
* Pentium 4 2.8 Processor or greater
* 1GB RAM
* USB 1.1 Interface
* 1,024 x 768 Pixel Resolution

Macintosh System

* OS X 10.4 or later
* Pentium 4 2.8 Processor or greater
* 1GB RAM
* USB 1.1 Interface
* 1,024 x 768 Pixel Resolution

Battery
Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery Pack

Power Adapter
Not Specified By Manufacturer

Dimensions (WxHxD)
2.4 x 4.5 x 0.9" / 6.1 x 11.43 x 2.29cm

Weight
3.9 oz / 110.57g

Finding one of the cameras in stock does not appear to be easy. There is also little info (that I've found) that indicates when the housing will be available. I guess we'll see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom