Your opinions please ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was looking to buy an underwater video system that would give something close to broadcast quality footage. Then, I caught sight of this babe and it is an HD giving (1280 x 720) resolution. I would like to hear from professional underwater videographers about this product. Like how this would compare with a PD-170 with underwater casing (costing over 2000 for the bare minimum set up.)

Liquid Image™ Scuba Series HD 321 Digital Camera Dive Mask

Liquid Image? Scuba Series HD 321 Digital Camera Dive Mask, Large Skirt | SG 100303 | Sharper Image Online

Thanks in advance

No video pro but have to say while an interesting idea don't think it gives you any of the functions one would need for "broadcast quality" results. No zoom that I can see, no filter options for color correction, only rated to 112fsw, and how do you frame your subject?

In this day and age even video contests expect clear, well lighted subjects. How would you get light on your subjects? Thus this would have to have an amazing sensor to deal with low light which I doubt it has.

But maybe the more technically inclined can chime in.

Number one.... broadcast quality? Broadcast where? Vimeo, YouTube, or are you talking about something else.

Number two.... shooting video that someone else is going to want to watch requires slow, sluglike movement of the camcorder. Do you plan to hold your head completely still while trying to shoot the video?

Number three....do you have time to edit your video? A really new, fast computer with tons of memory (quad-core preferred), and lots and lots of time to do the editing? Video is not the same as still photography.

robin:D

haha ... Yes I was thinking about how weird it could be if you do all the camera movements with your head instead of your hands.

I broadcast internationally, mostly to Pakistan and South Asia. This is a clip from my documentary on U352. As you can see towards the end the next episode was Spiege Grove.

YouTube - U352 part 2

For full length documentaries like these, I hire cameramen who have their own equipment. For short 3-minute news reports, I cant hire professionals so I was thinking of getting something that would not break my personal budget and would give me underwater shots that dont look like they were shot on old VHS :)

haha ... Yes I was thinking about how weird it could be if you do all the camera movements with your head instead of your hands.

I broadcast internationally, mostly to Pakistan and South Asia. This is a clip from my documentary on U352. As you can see towards the end the next episode was Spiege Grove.

YouTube - U352 part 2

For full length documentaries like these, I hire cameramen who have their own equipment. For short 3-minute news reports, I cant hire professionals so I was thinking of getting something that would not break my personal budget and would give me underwater shots that dont look like they were shot on old VHS :)
Try one of these... H2OV / ContourHD - it's small, ( 2" X 3" X 5" ) goes to 300 feet and you can strap it to the back of you hand. GMSconcepts

I have been pretty happy with a recent purchase of a Canon handheld HF 11 (HD). With an Ikelite 6090. the resolution is outstanding and with some good lights it really rocks. I was surprised to see that COSCO of all places has the cameras for under 500.00 USD Not a bad deal for an HD camera now a days...

I was looking to buy an underwater video system that would give something close to broadcast quality footage. Then, I caught sight of this babe and it is an HD giving (1280 x 720) resolution. I would like to hear from professional underwater videographers about this product. Like how this would compare with a PD-170 with underwater casing (costing over 2000 for the bare minimum set up.)

Liquid Image™ Scuba Series HD 321 Digital Camera Dive Mask

Liquid Image? Scuba Series HD 321 Digital Camera Dive Mask, Large Skirt | SG 100303 | Sharper Image Online

Thanks in advance

Well maybe I can let you know something in a few weeks on this very set-up. My buddy and I are going to Bonaire the first week of March and he has just bought this very set-up. I think he's more interested in stills but it will do video also he said. I can't wait to see how it does. For some reason it just seems like a gimmick to me.

Well maybe I can let you know something in a few weeks on this very set-up. My buddy and I are going to Bonaire the first week of March and he has just bought this very set-up. I think he's more interested in stills but it will do video also he said. I can't wait to see how it does. For some reason it just seems like a gimmick to me.

Yes. Id love to hear from you how it worked. I looked at the footage online and everything was greenish. That is something that we associate with poor white balance. I contacted sales support and asked them if it has a white balance option. They said as of now it does not. The white balance is "auto." What that means I do not know. Does it mean its white balanced settings are constantly changing and that is why you dont have to manually do it? Or does that mean they have been FIXED to a particular lighting condition and that is why they are making up everything in green? So when something is "auto" then you really dont know what you are getting. Still ... I think that in most conditions it should give decent image.

While you try out the product, I would play close attention to if the image turns out to show more greens than it is sopposed to.

I'll let you know how it does. Maybe I'll be able to post a few pics that he takes with it. But to be honest, for around $300 for the entire set-up I don't expect much from it.

I do video and have a L&M set-up and now have MWB capabilities so I'm looking forward to trying that out and seeing the results and comparing them to my videos before I could do MWB underwater.

Sorry I know older thread, but my 2 cents.
I have the 5m one and am looking into this newer one that goes deeper.

One you get used to head position it is actually pretty cool to have some footage of a snorkel or dive.

Im teaching my little cousin to snorkel and it is great for his folks to see him.

Ive used mine to go croc snorkelling in Darwin and the footage wasnt to bad.

If you want something you can put on You Tube for your mates to see, are teaching people to snorkel or dive and want a good memory then this is a good idea.
If you want to enter photo or video comps this is not the one for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom