UTD vs. GUE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Every diver is different in the rate they can learn but I would strongly recommend against doing an all in one course unless it is a mentor based course. It could be incredible overwhelming trying to shoehorn so much in such a little bit of time and I think most tech agencies really try to structure their course to give you time in between classes to work on the skills you learned to carry into the next class.

I was in the same position you are now a few years ago while I was living in SC. I wanted to get into the team orientated diving but I had no buddies that were on the same page. At the time I just focused on getting the gear and working on trim, buoyancy and kicks. I didnt took formal classes until I moved to Hawaii, looking back I should have done fundies back then instead of waiting as you will learn a lot that will make you a better buddy even if they arent interested in team diving.

Mark
I'm not actually talking about doing it all in one shot, and the instructor strongly recommends against it. What I was referring to was a more in depth class that would actually be the total sum of 3 seemingly lessor classes. He also suggested a "pre-class" planning session for a weekend that would help to prepare all involved so that we're all on the same page, which sounds perfectly logical to me.

-Tim

more intense full featured "all-in-one" class that will cover Tech1/Cavern/Cave1

Are you talking about taking these back to back? My heartfelt advice would be not even to consider such a thing. Most people finishing either Tech 1 or Cave 1 are pretty darned beat. I can't imagine trying to do two one after the other.

Are you talking about taking these back to back? My heartfelt advice would be not even to consider such a thing. Most people finishing either Tech 1 or Cave 1 are pretty darned beat. I can't imagine trying to do two one after the other.
No, I'm not actually. :wink:

When, with also less than 100 dives total, I inquired about doing NAUI "Tech 1" with a local instructor, she told me to go do GUE Fundamentals first. While I didn't end up doing my T1 course with her afterward (she is quite the diver and instructor, though), it was good advice. I didn't know what I didn't know.

In any case, I'm a huge proponent of studying with different instructors for your various courses. Always nice to get a second (or third or fourth...) set of eyes on you.

When, with also less than 100 dives total, I inquired about doing NAUI "Tech 1" with a local instructor, she told me to go do GUE Fundamentals first. While I didn't end up doing my T1 course with her afterward (she is quite the diver and instructor, though), it was good advice. I didn't know what I didn't know.

In any case, I'm a huge proponent of studying with different instructors for your various courses. Always nice to get a second (or third or fourth...) set of eyes on you.
That's actually a very serious consideration of mine. In regards to the multiple instructors thing, I've actually been doing that when possible in order to gain differnt perspectives. I'm hoping to be able to connect with another instructor that I dove with in mid-November again in about 3 weeks when I'm back in Riveria/West Palm Beach with a day to kill. Whether I hire him (Jeff Nelson at Force-E) to finish the class that I started with him in November or whether we just go diving for the day as "friends", I'm good either way because there will always be knowledge to be gleaned from every encounter. What we do will depend solely upon his schedule, but either way I'm gonna blow some bubbles! :D

-Tim

Anyone have a thoughts on what I can or should do..?

The thing is, I want caves so bad that I can taste em!!!

-Tim

You should do what is better for yourself in terms of training. Definitely you should not be looking at people who hunt for badges or a next PADI c-card:)

I'm not actually talking about doing it all in one shot, and the instructor strongly recommends against it. What I was referring to was a more in depth class that would actually be the total sum of 3 seemingly lessor classes. He also suggested a "pre-class" planning session for a weekend that would help to prepare all involved so that we're all on the same page, which sounds perfectly logical to me.

-Tim

Ahh gotcha.

My training went something like this. Move to Hawaii did GUE fundies, hooked up with a local diver that was GUE tech trained and a TDI tech instructor. Did TDI Advanced Nitrox/Deco with "discover Trimix" thrown in. Did a bunch of dives. Did TDI Advanced Wreck. Did a bunch of dives. Did TDI Trimix. Did a bunch of dives. Did GUE Tech 1. From Fundies to Tech 1 I think it was around 200 to 250 dives.

Honestly looking back I dont think I could have done it without the "did a bunch of dives". You seem to be chomping at the bit to move on to the next level which is cool and I can relate but don't rush it. The water will still be there :)

I think I almost made my decision for now.

I got to dive with Don and his two students yesterday and I like how they let me dive with them (open attitude). I also talked to a friend in CLT area and he said he might be interested in some tech class to start with. (For some reason he doesn't like GUE.) So it looks like it is UTD for me.

Where it gets more different is at the Tech level. GUE jumps from Fundies to Tech 1 (150 ft, 21/35 and 50%, up to 30 minutes of deco). UTD goes to their Tech 1, which is a 25/25, 130 foot class with O2 deco up to 15 minutes. It's a little less stressful class, designed for folks who don't really want to do deep dives, but would like to do some deeper recreational dives properly planned with staged decompression. I took it, and it was a good decision for me, especially as I have repeatedly struggled with GUE classes the first time through.

GUE has the upcoming rec 2 (triox) and already available rec 3 (trimix) courses as intermediary from fundamentals to the tech program.

the triox step has been around for 4 or 5? years, as my buddy Lamont took it some time ago.

the following is from their site.

GUE’s Recreational Diver level 2 course is a no-decompression class structured to prepare divers for
deeper recreational diving using proper equipment, diving techniques, and breathing mixtures. In this class,
students will be introduced to the theory and practice of decompression and schooled in correct ascent
procedures. GUE’s Recreational Diver level 2 training focuses on expanding the fundamental skills learned
in GUE’s Recreational Diver level 1 course and/or the GUE Fundamentals course (or elsewhere), and is
designed to cultivate, integrate, and expand the essential skills required for safe deeper diving. This will
include problem identification and resolution, and building the capacity for progressively more challenging
diving. In this class, students will be trained in: a) the use of single or double back gas tanks/cylinders, and
in the potential failure problems associated with them; b) the use of Nitrox and Triox for extended bottom
times; and c) the use of Helium to minimize narcosis, CO2, gas density, and post-dive “nitrogen stress.”

The GUE Recreational Diver level 3 course is a minimum decompression class structured to prepare divers
for deeper recreational diving using proper equipment, diving techniques and breathing mixtures. In this
class, students will be introduced to the theory and practice of decompression and trained in correct ascent
procedures. Recreational Diver level 3 training builds on the fundamental skills learned in previous GUE
Recreational courses (GUE Fundamentals, Level 1 and Diver level 2) and is designed to cultivate the
essential skills required for safe diving at greater depths. The training will include problem identification
and resolution as a means of building capacity for progressively more challenging dives. In this class,
students will be trained in: a) the use of double, back-gas tanks/cylinders as well as the problem resolution
skills required for safe doubles diving; b) the use of Nitrox for decompression; c) the use of Helium to
minimize narcosis, CO2, gas density, and post-dive “nitrogen stress”; and d) the use of a single
decompression cylinder for stage decompression techniques.

for more detailed information, link to their standards...

http://www.gue.com/files/Standards_and_Procedures/GUE_Standards_Version_51.pdf

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom