Tipping your OW instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuga

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Do you tip your OW instructor? Do you tip your OW instructor on a referral certification?

Thanks

If you want to... I'm sure they'd appreaciate it :) Tipping Instructors isn't as common as it is to tip a Divemaster, Captian, or Guide on a Dive boat/charter..

I have never tipped an instructor for a class but I have provided lunch on occasion. Also, I would think that most/some(?) of the referral fee would go to the instructor and that a tip is not necessary.

However, I do tip the divemaster on boat trips (10 to 20 depending on service and length of trip) and sometimes the air guy depending on my length of stay and air mixes required.

I have taken many courses and never tipped the instructor. Not being cheap, just never gave it a thought. I do tip divemasters, however, as they tend to make diddlysquat. Hope to make diddlysquat soon.

Do you tip your OW instructor? Do you tip your OW instructor on a referral certification?

Thanks

If they did a good job,and you like what was done for you,then give them a tip..both the ow instructor that you had at the pool and academics and the instructor at the referral site.
It is never really expected but always appreciated..
That said, I get tokens of appreciation -tips-all the time.I guess I make them happy.

I have taken many courses and never tipped the instructor. Not being cheap, just never gave it a thought. I do tip divemasters, however, as they tend to make diddlysquat. Hope to make diddlysquat soon.

you will find that the instructors make diddlysquat too and have much higher expenses-their training/fees/insurance all much more expensive than the dm who very often does diddlysquat.

Vincent 'Vinnie' Antonelli: It's not tipping I believe in. It's overtipping.
My Blue Heaven - 1990

How much do you value your life, and how good was your instructor? If you paid for the card, then you should be good to go. If you received one hell of an instructed coarse to earn your certification, then I would recommend overtipping.

Overtipping - that's my philosophy!

Keith

We brought our instructors lunch for the checkouts.

Yes you should tip your instructor heavily at all levels of training :D

Actually I have never accepted a tip from my students although if they offer I tell them I would rather read on scubaboard or another forum how much they enjoyed their training experience.

Back
Top Bottom